My Math Teacher

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Re: Translation of one of Serge's game

Postby Rexxx » Tue, 15Jul28 20:31

@me3

I don't think that you need the key for the demo, but only the image.
For the key you need to be a bit "acrobatic", all the images are in the Stephanie's flat, only one is hidden, reading one post in which redle respond to me can be helpful.

@albert99

You have to put the apartment in the right state and have the coin, but nothing help you to understand when you have done well (don't continue to "x" the same object), you understand only when the detention room scene change.
The only things that need to be "right" are those that can have a "meaning",
I hope not to give too much help, but the washing machine is not important at least for now
Rexxx
lagoon predator

sex: Masculine

Postby albert99 » Tue, 15Jul28 21:14

Thanks for the tips guys.

I think I understand what I need to do with windows now (I made a table so I didn't miss any possibilities http://imgur.com/LWTwKhK). However all that was a waste of my time if I need the coin first as I haven't a clue how to get it!

I think I really struggle with this game for two reasons, the lack of immediate feedback or noticeable changes is a big one as others have mentioned. The other is all descriptions seem to be quite bare bones and don't really seem to give much away about the object or person. Either that or I are just stupider then I fort.
albert99
great white shark

Postby paquito » Wed, 15Jul29 04:57

@albert99: It's wrong, you can do it after if you want.

The game is made to be difficult, it's normal to fail many times. Save frequently, some actions have consequences days later, it's not important for this demo but it will be in the final release.

@Rexxx: You're right, the keys aren't used in this demo.

By the way, I already told that but this game is one of the easiest Serge's games, and the English version is even easier than the French one (you have more clues).

Well... This demo is available for one week now, I will share some numbers with you. The demo has been downloaded more than 300 times. But unfortunatly only few people gave their opinions. Don't be shy, I need as much different opinions as possible in order to improve the quality of the translation. One of you said something about some weird expression and mistakes but he didn't tell me where.

Edit: I've just checked the issue with the directions. If "auto-complete" isn't activated "e" isn't completely equivalent to "east". It's probably my fault... When "auto-complete" works, if you type "e" the word "east" appears in the textbox. This is what I called the shortcuts for the directions. Do not erase the others letters.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby Serge » Wed, 15Jul29 11:55

Thanks to Paquito for his work.

I try to play my game in english and get a end game... I try again. :lol:
Serge
Great Master of corals

Postby Trucla » Wed, 15Jul29 13:34

Serge wrote:Thanks to Paquito for his work.

I try to play my game in english and get a end game... I try again. :lol:
Well done Paquito! It's good seeing how Serge looses the remaining of his hair... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Trucla
If a guy is hungry, don't feed him! Just offer a fishing rod and teach him fishing!
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby Sephira » Wed, 15Jul29 18:30

When even serge is having the same problem as i am, i am feeling much better. :D
Sephira
sirens hunter

Postby redle » Thu, 15Jul30 01:48

paquito wrote:Edit: I've just checked the issue with the directions. If "auto-complete" isn't activated "e" isn't completely equivalent to "east". It's probably my fault... When "auto-complete" works, if you type "e" the word "east" appears in the textbox. This is what I called the shortcuts for the directions. Do not erase the others letters.

Just so you know, making these types of rules necessary is considered poor programming. Anything that fails because auto-complete is not turned on or doesn't suggest the right thing is a failure of the developer.
This includes things like the one room that has 2 pictures in it. Arbitrarily naming them "picture1" and "picture2" is a big no-no. There is no way for a player to figure out those exact combinations of letters to examine them. The only way it is at all solvable is to have the game tell you it is called "picture1" (which auto-complete does do). This is fairly equivalent to doing this:

You stand in a room with 4 walls.
>x walls
The walls are plain. There is nothing special about them.

Now turn on auto-complete and type 'x w' in the process of typing x walls:
>x wallpaper
On the wallpaper you notice the code 1234. You should probably remember that number.

If you can't figure out the word 'wallpaper' on your own, the game shouldn't need the word. As with the picture example before, if there are going to be 2 pictures, they either need identifiers in the room description or a prompt when examining. i.e.

You see a couple of pictures.
>x pictures
Do you want to examine picture one or two?
>one
The first picture is of a mouse in a sombrero.
(In such a case as this, '>x picture one' could also be an allowed way to accomplish the task, but it shouldn't be the only way. And '>x picture1' shouldn't even be a possibility.)

You see a couple pictures. One is framed. The other looks more like a poster.
>x framed picture
The picture is of a family on the beach.
>x poster
The poster is a movie premiere advertisement. It appears to be for some horror flick of which you've never heard.

The game engine is designed such that 'e' means go east. People know this, are familiar with it, and it's the most common way moving east is accomplished by players. Yes, many people leave auto-complete on (and yes it is even suggested in the intro to make sure it is on). This does result in the fact that even though most people type 'e' to move eastward, they actually end up using the command 'east' most often. It is still not a good idea to rely on this. Among other things, if any task were put in the game that started with an 'e' it is quite possible that auto-complete would stop "suggesting" east when an 'e' was typed. Suddenly the whole game would break because at some point in the game the player is given the opportunity to "eat a cookie."

If it is something the player can physically do (such as enter just the letter 'e' as a command), a well formed program needs to handle the possibility correctly. Saying, "Hey, player, don't do that!" in a forum, a readme, or even in the intro is not a solution.

I know, it's a bit of a rant. Not to mention, this has nothing to do with translation at all (although I know changes in this version aren't completely limited to translation). Never the less, these are things that should be considered when creating any piece of software. Anything of this nature that ends up existing really is a bug.
redle
star of the reef

Postby paquito » Thu, 15Jul30 07:05

I will try to fix that, but honnestly I don't like programming. Yesterday I translated the third day in a couple of hours and I enjoyed that, but the second day took so long time because of various bugs, modifications and programming (programming tends to aggravate my natural laziness). I'm not skilled and I don't like that, so do not hope for miracles... :p
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby razhiel79 » Fri, 15Jul31 13:19

Hi all,

i am completley stuck... I know that i need the coin and i know that i can prolly get it from the Vending Machine, but i have no clue how to achieve that. Perhaps it is something about my limited english skills and i am missing the right word or term.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thx!
razhiel79
Pilot fish

Postby me3 » Fri, 15Jul31 14:47

razhiel79 wrote:Hi all,

i am completley stuck... I know that i need the coin and i know that i can prolly get it from the Vending Machine, but i have no clue how to achieve that. Perhaps it is something about my limited english skills and i am missing the right word or term.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thx!

buy coffee
me3
great white shark

Postby paquito » Fri, 15Jul31 15:45

It also works with some other drinks.

All the commands used in the game quite quite simple, the hidden commands anyway... :p
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby Serge » Sat, 15Aug01 04:26

paquito wrote:
It also works with some other drinks.

All the commands used in the game quite quite simple, the hidden commands anyway... :p

Problem is not what to buy but when to buy.....
Serge
Great Master of corals

Postby paquito » Sat, 15Aug01 04:57

yes, but it's doable whatever your level in English.

By the way, 369 downloads for the demo.

Edit; I fixed the issues related to directions. Now "e" or east work exactly in the same way, same for all other directions. I changed the "toilets cabins" in "toilets stalls". "cabin" seems used for movable toilets.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby jackofhearts » Tue, 15Aug04 00:59

Pls remove accents!

I love and honor the french language, but for non-accents-users without a proper keyboard, playing the game in english, it's just annoying.
jackofhearts
sirens hunter

Postby paquito » Tue, 15Aug04 05:57

You don't need a specific keyboard.

If an accent is in a bold command, just click on it and the word will appears in the textbox. If you need to use "X name", all characters have aliases without accents.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

PreviousNext

Return to Projects