My Math Teacher

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Re: Translation of one of Serge's game

Postby paquito » Sat, 15Jul25 11:20

I will check that tomorrow, I'm not in my place. But after this point, you don't need the coin anymore (in this demo anyway..).
paquito
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Postby Rexxx » Sat, 15Jul25 11:40

We can wait, but you can use the coin (in some way that we have to find) before the good morning or you need it after that (when you can sit) ?
In the first case it's not a great problem (maybe you cannot continue in any case), in the second case if I'm not the only one that has this problem that bug is game breaking if you need absolutely the coin for an action.
Rexxx
lagoon predator

Postby redle » Sat, 15Jul25 11:45

@BeanBean
As someone who is reading over paquito's English draft and suggesting changes to improve the readability, I should possibly do more than what I have. I'd agree with your stalls versus cabins comment, but paquito writes with a British English slant, as opposed to my American English. I don't actually know which would be common in England. (Just as I try to ignore extra u's and lack of z's.)

"Legion" is used a few different ways, but I think here it is meant in the theme of "an exclusive club." I think it basically means the girls are a close-knit group. They won't tell each other's secrets. They look out for each other. Etc.

Yes, the ellipses are overused. I don't find it makes reading/comprehending particularly difficult, so I've let it pass. If people disagree, feel free to say so. Maybe I'll be more firm at trying to remove some of them.

@Rexxx
You make a good point. The game starts out using the inventory system (like players would find typical in any of these adventure games). At some point items end up inside pockets. The inventory command suddenly stops saying anything useful. On top of that, you can't even examine or look in your pockets. You need to actually examine pants. At the very least, it's unorthodox. I don't know that the game-play mechanic will be changed any, but perhaps at least a statement will be added to the introduction. (And actually, further comments make it sound like the coin really is vanishing. I had some strange plays where I thought it disappeared. I had commented on it, but eventually ignored it as me having been mistaken. Sounds like there may be something strange going on.)
Either way, "finding the coin" is the only use of the coin in the demo. There is absolutely nothing else the coin can be used for in the first 2 days of the game (which is the extent of the demo).

Look and examine are the only commands needed to see something (the search command is not used in the game). That said, the game has another little quirk where players often need to "look" more often them seems necessary. For example (not in the game, this is made up for illustration), if you were robbing a house, the scenario might play something like:
x room -> You are in a rather plain study. A chair and desk are the only furniture pieces and a single painting the only decoration.
remove painting -> painting removed from wall
x room -> There is a safe in the middle of the wall where the painting once was.

It could easily be argued that the player removed the painting specifically to see if anything was behind it. The description resulting from the removal could (and perhaps should) include mention of the safe. This game doesn't tend to do that. If you do something that changes the room, you actually need to look or examine again to find out what the result might be.
Last edited by redle on Sat, 15Jul25 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
redle
star of the reef

Postby Rexxx » Sat, 15Jul25 13:11

From playing the demo I think that Serge's games aren't so easy to translate (my french is so scholastic that I haven't even attempted to play one before so this is only an idea from the demo).
I thought that the coin would have been needed in the detention room, but if not I have to find something other to continue (and the possible bug can be a problem for the complete game).
It's possible to forget something the first day?
I am trying to search the second day, but if I can miss something the first I have to begin anew.
Rexxx
lagoon predator

Postby paquito » Sat, 15Jul25 13:41

There is nothing special to do the first day. It's just an introduction for the story.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby redle » Sat, 15Jul25 20:41

@BeanBean
I forgot to ask. Were you literally stuck in the washroom (meaning you couldn't get the character to leave the room)? Or did you mean it figuratively (as in, I think there is a puzzle for me to solve here and I can't figure it out)?

@Rexxx
As I mentioned, to get beyond some of the game-overs the player must leave the world in a specific state, in addition to possessing the proper objects. The game often doesn't let you know which things are good and which are bad.
To be a bit more specific for your current puzzle: some things need to be open and some things need to be closed. That's in addition to needing to find the coin. None of them have anything at all to do with detention, even though that is where the game will suddenly end or continue.
redle
star of the reef

Postby me3 » Sat, 15Jul25 23:00

During the
detention scene with Stephanie she asks:
Shall I remove it, or not? Be a man and make a choice!

Yes
No

It doesn't seem possible to use either of the options provided, at least not on their own and they seem to be presented in the same way other "commands" are offered for you to use.
So either they don't really work, or they are rather misleading (and not in a gamewise good way such as a trap/puzzle)

Edit:
Possible bug:
In Stephanies flat, there's a laptop, if you try to take that, the game gets some problems. It freezes for a while with no result

Edit2:
Bug:
Trying to join Stephanie after looking through the window (when given the choice to masturbate or join) causes an error. Adrift suggests it might be a recursive task, task number 85 action number 3
me3
great white shark

Postby Rexxx » Sun, 15Jul26 08:25

@Redle
But, aside that you don't know why you are doing that before something happen, you see immediately the result of your actions ?
What I want to know, after I have done the actions (the only ones that I think can be seen and have some impact in the world), I have to go in the detention room to see if I can continue or some scene happens immediately, because without going back nothing happened (and I haven't tried to go in detention room after each combination) ?
Naturally I could miss something or I haven't done the right combination (in this case I will write each of them so to be sure to not miss one).
Last edited by Rexxx on Sun, 15Jul26 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
Rexxx
lagoon predator

Postby Rexxx » Sun, 15Jul26 08:34

Ok, I have the answer to my question, it's better to save frequently because you don't see if you have done good or bad immediately, but only when the game end early.
If you do the things in the right way the coin doesn't vanish.
Rexxx
lagoon predator

Postby Rexxx » Sun, 15Jul26 09:24

How much picture you needs to have seen to

join stephanie ?

Edit I have found the right number (i think), but in any case i cannot succeed,
She say that i'm rude, sside the right number of pictures I need to do something to join stephanie ?

i don't know if it's a bug but

After i decide to join all my inventory vanish.
Last edited by Rexxx on Sun, 15Jul26 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
Rexxx
lagoon predator

Postby BeanBean » Sun, 15Jul26 09:59

redle wrote:@BeanBean
I forgot to ask. Were you literally stuck in the washroom (meaning you couldn't get the character to leave the room)? Or did you mean it figuratively (as in, I think there is a puzzle for me to solve here and I can't figure it out)?

I was literally stuck. Here's the transcript. I happens on both Day 1 and Day 2.

> west
I move west.
Boys' washroom
This place is quite clean... for a boys' washroom! There are several basins, WC cabins and a small trash can. Unfortunately, all cabins are out of order with the exception of the last one in the row.To the East, the corridor (D8).

> east
Nope, not here, or there is a spelling mistake...

> open d8
The D8 is already open!

> out
There is no route out, only east.

> east
Nope, not here, or there is a spelling mistake...
Read my stuff, play my games, at http://beanbean.neocities.org/index.html
BeanBean
great white shark

Postby Rexxx » Sun, 15Jul26 10:22

@ BeanBean

Try to write only "E" not "east" (attention if autocomplete), I have seen that for the direction that can be closed this can happen
Rexxx
lagoon predator

Postby paquito » Sun, 15Jul26 10:41

Yeah, use the shortcuts for the direction, it's better.

About the right amount of picture, it's a secret! :p
This game is suppose to be hard to achieve, but it's quite easy compared to some Serge's more recent games. But you're quite close to deal with your problem. ;) There is a (quite) small clue in the text.

About your inventory, it's normal, the text says that the caracter put all his items in his pockets and leave his clothes in the entrance.

I will carrefully read all your comments check your comments to see where you had issues and where you found bugs.

I hope you enjoy this demo, I know many of you aren't very comfortable with this kind of game, but harder is better! ;)
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby Rexxx » Sun, 15Jul26 20:39

The game is in an case very interesting, I think to have found all the pictures, because before I found the lastone the game ended without doing the possibility to enter the bathroom, now i can say that

when the choice between masturbate and join, surely join is the right decision, in either case the game end, but with masturbate the number of pics remain fix.
Without revealing exactly what one has to do, what is missing is an action, an object to find, a phrase to say or, like the detention scene I need to put the world in a particular state ?
Or at least where I have to concentrate my efforts on stephanie's flat or in other places ?
Searching I have found 2 keys, tried to close and open doors and windows, tried to say some words to Stephanie, all without success.
Or the number of pics necessary for the courage to enter the bathroom are less that the number necessary to continue ?

Edit . I have found the action (the strange thing is that I thought to having tried that before without success), but I will have to continue the demo tomorrow (even if I think to be near the end)

PS It's a pity pics can be seen only one time, if you try to see a second time you have only a description
Rexxx
lagoon predator

Postby redle » Mon, 15Jul27 04:03

BeanBean wrote:I was literally stuck. Here's the transcript. I happens on both Day 1 and Day 2

That sounds nasty, indeed. I haven't done much within Adrift, so I don't have any real help to offer on this one. Going in and out of the restroom works fine for me. I'm curious if this all happens using a save from the same game. If you start a new game and go straight to the restroom, enter it, and try to leave, can you leave then?

As the others have mentioned, you can also try just using 'e', although it will likely require you to delete the rest of the word. If 'e' works and "east" doesn't, it is still a bug, but it may help someone solve it.

From what I have seen, this game uses a lot of 1-time commands. A few times it even overrides directional commands like east or west. It has happened to me before that I type something and it thinks I'm trying to use one of these 1-time commands, even though it is not the right time for it. This does seem to confuse the game and cause problems. I don't know if this is related to what happened to you here. I'm just trying to think of possibilities.

@Rexxx
Glad to hear you have made it past your previous sticking point. And, yes, if you can get to where you are, I believe you have found all the pictures.

@paquito and others
Using shortcuts for directional movement is a dubious statement. With auto-complete turned on, quite often typing something like "w" and pressing enter actually results in auto-complete typing the word "west" for you. The only way to actually use the shortcuts is often to type "w" and then delete the "est".

Also, as mentioned above, the game, at times, overrides directional commands. When it does this, it might override "east" but does not also override 'e'. So actually using shortcuts might cause errors at some points later in this game.
redle
star of the reef

PreviousNext

Return to Projects