My Math Teacher

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Re: Translation of one of Serge's game

Postby paquito » Wed, 15Jul22 19:15

UPDATE!!!

The link for the demo is available on the first post of this thread.

Au fait... Pour les personnes parlant français et qui ont déjà jouer à ce jeu... Il s'agit d'une version améliorée avec de nouveaux lieux à explorer et de nombreux autres changements. Profitez de l'occasion pour améliorer votre anglais, la traduction à été faite conjointement avec un anglophone (Redle) pour un résultat de meilleur qualité et plus vivant.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Postby tonytiger » Fri, 15Jul24 16:00

Hi paquito, thanks for the work on this I have alway wanted to try a serge game. Couple of things even though I enter my name at the beinging the characters call me player; the main point is that I am stuck at the point at the beginning where I have been sent to the headmisstress's office, I cant figure out what to do. In bold it says 'did you want me?' but typeing this or trying to talk\ask the teachers anything gets me no where. Im not usually very good at these game any way but just checking if its the game or me. The translation is very good btw only one minor sentence that may need tidying up [img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img]
tonytiger
sirens hunter

Postby Issho » Fri, 15Jul24 16:14

You have to type it without the question mark (seems a bug). I'm stuck after that. Have to unlock the door and type "ask mrs about key", bit it doesn't work
Issho
great white shark

Postby paquito » Fri, 15Jul24 16:19

Thanks for your comment! The translation is way nicer that my "raw" translation thanks to Redle.

It's weird... I have any issue with the name and the command "did you ask for me?"... Do you use Adrift 4 release 52 ou 53?
You can use your mouse to type the various commands, try this way, with the "?" at the end.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby paquito » Fri, 15Jul24 16:23

Issho wrote:You have to type it without the question mark (seems a bug). I'm stuck after that. Have to unlock the door and type "ask mrs about key", bit it doesn't work

What?? After the chat in the Headmistress's office, just use "open d1" and "east".

By the way don't use " ask xxx about xxx", it's completely useless in this game.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby Rexxx » Fri, 15Jul24 20:51

Congratulations for your work until now.
Rexxx
lagoon predator

Postby qwasddf » Sat, 15Jul25 04:21

Can never make it past detention, been throughout francoise's apartment and gotten euro from vending machine but a missing something unless that is the extent of the demo any hint would be appreciated trying to derive the answer from google translating the original french thread yielded noting.
qwasddf
sirens hunter

Postby paquito » Sat, 15Jul25 04:34

This is not the end of the demo, you simply missed something. There are two actions to perform and one item to get in order to pass the detention room.

For the end of the demo, it will be clearly written when you will manage to reach it.

Did someone already manage to finish the demo?
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby redle » Sat, 15Jul25 08:52

@tonytiger
Regarding not using the player's name, the "bad" sentence, or any other text corrections, it's helpful if you give a where and when during the game you see this, or copy out a section of text. Sometimes it can be tricky to find the problem to put in a fix if limited information is given.

Although, to all, remember to use spoilers if you are going to copy sections of text and put them in the forum.

As for the spot you are/were stuck, type in bold "suggested" commands exactly as they appear on the screen (punctuation or anything else you see included). Not sure if this is standard for all of serge's games, but that's certainly how this one works. Paquito mentioned trying to input these commands with the mouse. In case you haven't discovered it, clicking on a word in the text will make it appear as though you typed it. So the bold commands, you can just click each word in order and then press enter.

@qwasddf
I've worked a bit too much inside the game and it isn't my game, so I'm a bit loathe to give out direct solutions myself at this point. That said, the game plays kind of as 2 completely different games in one. There is the story side of the game: events unfold and there is a, hopefully, natural chain of events. Then there is sort of a puzzle game: where there is just a "magic" combination and you need to keep trying things until you get the right one. There may be reasons for the combination, but they aren't told to the player.

This second type can both make you think a bit and add a challenge to the game, but can also make it very frustrating (as there is no real feedback to let you know if you are on the right track until your game suddenly ends or it doesn't) when things just don't work. I know at least a few changes have been made to make it more discoverable. The way it was explained to me is that a lot of these "random" type requirements are done intentionally to promote a teamwork style of play. A style where people come to the forum and discuss the various sticking points and discuss and figure ways around it as a group.

But I will say that
the additional "combination" of required steps for this hurdle all come from Fran's apartment.
redle
star of the reef

Postby BeanBean » Sat, 15Jul25 09:53

With some help from this thread, I managed to get out of the Mrs Holloway's office, but then found myself stuck in the washroom.

I'm looking forward to this game, but I'll wait until the next release before I play more.

Here are a few suggestions to improve the translation.

-toilets are housed in stalls, not cabins.
-"They are legion inside; trust me." I am not understanding what this is supposed to mean. I looked up the phrase and can see that it might be a Biblical reference, but I still don't get it in the context of the story.
-In my opinion the ellipses (...) are for the most part over-used and misused. However, if you are doing a literal translation and they are in the original, you might as well keep them in.

There are many other instances of imperfect English in your translation, but it is clearly understood what is meant.

Congratulations on what you have done so far. Keep battling away at the project, your effort is much appreciated.
Read my stuff, play my games, at http://beanbean.neocities.org/index.html
BeanBean
great white shark

Postby Rexxx » Sat, 15Jul25 10:14

For search something you need only examine, x and look or there is other command ?
It's possible to exit the window and entering stephanie's garden, I have tried some commands but without success (but maybe it's not possible) ?
Last edited by Rexxx on Sat, 15Jul25 10:27, edited 2 times in total.
Rexxx
lagoon predator

Postby paquito » Sat, 15Jul25 10:21

You can't.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby Rexxx » Sat, 15Jul25 10:27

And it happens something strange that I don't know if it's a bug
When I say hello to miss stephanie my coin vanish from the inventory, I "undo" and I have, if I need after that moment I don't know what to do
Rexxx
lagoon predator

Postby paquito » Sat, 15Jul25 10:36

Try «x pants», the coin should be inside.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby Rexxx » Sat, 15Jul25 11:09

Before the good morning I have "a coin inside paints" or in the inventory if I have already take it, but after if I write "x pants" I have only "trousers with pockets", I have already tried to restart the game.
Can be a problem of version, I use adrift 4 version 52 ?
Rexxx
lagoon predator

PreviousNext

Return to Projects