My Math Teacher

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Re: Translation of one of Serge's game

Postby paquito » Mon, 15Jul27 05:44

"E" or "East" are the same, the only issue is when you type something like "go east" or "go to east".
When I talk about the shortcuts I mean "East", but the shortest way to use it is to type "e" and then "enter".

If you found spelling mistakes, strange expressions, etc... please don't hesitate to tell me. Redle and me have issues to found all bugs, issues, etc... because we work on this project for a long time and we unconsciously avoid the bugs. Your help and opinion would be very useful for a better final product.

I just took a look at the issues you pointed. Most of them are not bugs from the game.

@ me3 and BeanBean: Do you use Adrift 4 release 52 or 53? Is Adrift 5 on your PC?
I ask you that because you can't take the laptop. And there is no problem with the choice you pointed (we entirely recreated this particular part in order to have an appropriate following event for all possibilities about the requierments, that's why this second day took so long to translate...).
About the washroom: Same here, the only issue is when I use "go east"; using this kind of moving is troublesome because you avoid the restrictions. There could be tempting, but you will be stuck sooner or later with that way.

For the issue with the coin, it's not a bug, it's because the requirements are about the state of things (difficult to be clear if I don't want to spoil...), not about the tasks (steps of the story).

For the picture that can only be seen a sigle time, it's because of the image varible. I tried to fix that, but if I allow player to see them several times, each time will increase the amount of viewed images.

About the ellipses: I'm not sure about their uses in English but in French it's useful in a written speech. It changes the tone of the sentence, giving a more more living feel. And it's also use in order to don't stop too brutally a sentence, etc... In general French is way rich in punctuation than English. So I guess that I tend to overuse it for your taste and I'm sorry for that. I will try to use a lighter punctuation for the next parts.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Postby BeanBean » Mon, 15Jul27 09:16

paquito wrote:@ me3 and BeanBean: Do you use Adrift 4 release 52 or 53? Is Adrift 5 on your PC?

I was using an outdated version of Adrift. I just updated to v5.0.33.1, but that has the same issue.

"east" or clicking on the map doesn't work.

"E" or "go east" solves the problem.

This is odd, because I can type "east" do travel east from other locations.
Read my stuff, play my games, at http://beanbean.neocities.org/index.html
BeanBean
great white shark

Postby paquito » Mon, 15Jul27 09:35

Well... Obviously you use Adrift 5, this is why you have issues. The game isn't compatible with this game.
Take the version 4.52 if you just want to play and the 4.53 if you want the version with the editor.

If Adrift 4 & 5 are both installed on your PC, open the apriopriate soft and then open the game.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby me3 » Mon, 15Jul27 17:42

the "take <object>" thing isn't a version issue, by the looks of things it could be a result of some sort of command "mixup" in the game.
Bug example:
In one playthrough i picked up the flowerpot (take flowerpot), but when i tried to take the old key or drop the flowerpot, both those commands caused the program to process something, freeze and not actually doing the action. As in the flowerpot was still held by the player and the key was still on the boards. In other playthroughs there was no error, starting from scratch or reusing previous saves. The only difference would be what successful and "failed" commands/actions that had been tried. I know it's a horribly bad case for debugging but there is something "odd" going on somewhere.
One possibility is that if the demo was created by dropping contents, left overs from the removed days etc could cause some kind of references error. Adrift seems to almost keep deleted tasks and actions (according to errors ppl are experiencing and reporting)

As for the image thing. Most event images obviously can't really be rewatchable, but logically, you should be able to look at pictures on a wall again. And the image counter thing is basically just lazy coding. It's very simple yes, but not a very good way of doing it.
Not sure what would be the best option in adrift but tracking what image has been seen or not shouldn't be that difficult and if you just apply it to non event specific things first, the number of images should be relatively small too
me3
great white shark

Postby Rexxx » Mon, 15Jul27 18:56

Some hints like the same given in this thread are good for the game, you have to find the right action but at least you have something in which focus.
I think that the game has many pics, I doubt the number is small
Rexxx
lagoon predator

Postby paquito » Mon, 15Jul27 20:03

@me3: I don't see why you have troubles. All the things you pointed are really basic, "take" and "drop" are basic actions that we didn't change.

@Rexxx: you're right, there are about 650 pictures. But it's really few compare to the Serge's latest game (more than 2000).

By the way: when I talk about legion, I mean that girls are many (really many). If you feel this is too weird, I can change that.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby me3 » Mon, 15Jul27 20:57

Can't really say why it's happening, it's not constant, which make me think it's some sort of corruption happening somewhere. If i find a replicable way of causing it i'll let you know.

Also, i know there's quite a few images which is why i specifically said "non event images", something which would drop the number considerably.

One other slightly annoying thing, when you "fail" to reach the required goals, the game ends, it would improve usability if instead of having to restart/end the game completely you could choose to restart, load a save or quit.
me3
great white shark

Postby paquito » Mon, 15Jul27 21:02

I can't change that, it's dealt by adrift itself.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby redle » Mon, 15Jul27 22:50

@me3
I agree, the inability to just load a save on a game over is annoying. If you cancel through all the ensuing dialogs and choices, after 3 of them or so, you can at least then access the menu to load a save. It's far from ideal, but the shortest path to load I've found so far.

Glad typing just 'e' lets you get out of the room. As I mentioned, I've seen the game grab commands at inappropriate times in my playthroughs. Not sure why it's happening to you there, but sounds like that's likely the cause.

@paquito
There absolutely is a difference between 'e' and 'east'. By default the game takes either command and yields the same result, but they are two different commands. I can make an Adrift file to demonstrate this to you if you'd like. I would actually include such a file here, but I don't see any way to attach, and it isn't worth uploading it to a file host somewhere.
Or, on day 3, I think, of the game you can see it for yourself. The game overrides 'east' at some point, which prevents the player from actually moving in that direction. If you type 'e' instead of 'east' you can actually bypass the block.
redle
star of the reef

Postby me3 » Mon, 15Jul27 23:47

paquito wrote:I can't change that, it's dealt by adrift itself.

other games manage it so it should be possible
me3
great white shark

Postby paquito » Tue, 15Jul28 05:27

Are those games on Adrift 4?
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby Rexxx » Tue, 15Jul28 19:54

After having played this game I'm sure that I don't known french so well for playing a serge game without a translation, too difficult, so I'm happy that at least one will be possible.
Using only a letter for direction (e instead of east) seems to pass some controls, for example I can exit from the detention room (but with East Stephanie scold me, that I think is the right decision), at the same time I could jump the window only with "s", with south was impossible.
Rexxx
lagoon predator

Postby me3 » Tue, 15Jul28 20:06

I'm really starting to run out of places to look for the last image and one of the keys, obviously i'm missing one place, if anyone has any hints
found the key under the flowerpot, so missing the "other one".
guessing the last pic might be tied to the key, should be the pic where steph is on a sofa, far as i can work out
me3
great white shark

Postby albert99 » Tue, 15Jul28 20:14

I am close to giving up, I just can't get past the detention without the game ending. Am I being stupid? I have read through this thread ten times over but the hints so far haven't helped at all.

As far as I gather:

I need to make sure things are in the right state in Françoise's apartment. I presume this means the curtains, windows, clothes, panty & bra and the washing machine?

I don't want to just be told the answer, that is no fun. However does anyone have a hint that your average garden slug could understand please? At this stage I just feel like I am typing the same things over and over because I have no idea what I haven't tried. I don't want to give up on the game, at the same time I don't want to type "x washing machine" for the 40th time.
albert99
great white shark

Postby me3 » Tue, 15Jul28 20:20

albert99 wrote:I am close to giving up, I just can't get past the detention without the game ending. Am I being stupid? I have read through this thread ten times over but the hints so far haven't helped at all.

As far as I gather:

I need to make sure things are in the right state in Françoise's apartment. I presume this means the curtains, windows, clothes, panty & bra and the washing machine?

I don't want to just be told the answer, that is no fun. However does anyone have a hint that your average garden slug could understand please? At this stage I just feel like I am typing the same things over and over because I have no idea what I haven't tried. I don't want to give up on the game, at the same time I don't want to type "x washing machine" for the 40th time.

hopefully not too specific
limit your actions to the state of windows/curtains

this one will eventually become obvious (and should be before then too)
remember to close the front door when leaving ;)
me3
great white shark

PreviousNext

Return to Projects