My Math Teacher

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

My Math Teacher

Postby paquito » Fri, 15May08 13:17

Many English speakers would love to play to Serge's games, but unfortunatly, French is not the most common language in this communauty.
I have some free time this summer and why not doing something special to celebrate that?
So I will translate "Ma prof de maths" (My Maths teacher) but I need some help in order to achieve a proper translation. For me, this will be a good exercise to increase my English sentences making skill. I have to admit that I'm not the greatest dude even when we talk to make proper English sentences, so it's why I need someone to correct step by step my translation. I say step by step because the game is quite long (easily more than 10000 lines of text).

I'm looking for someone motivated, and if possible a native English speaker (for obvious reasons...).
This project will be quite long and difficult, so please, have a look to the French version of this game in order to know what is the challenge before to take your decision.

If you are interested, please feel free to send me a PM if you need extra details about this project.

UPDATE:

DEMO 2 >>>> http://www.mediafire.com/file/gt65buado520db7/My_Math_Teacher_Eng_Demo2.taf

I completely forgot to add an essential information... You need Adrift 4 if you want to play... Sorry, my bad...
Last edited by paquito on Sat, 16Oct29 15:24, edited 5 times in total.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Re: Translation of one of Serge's game

Postby Rexxx » Sat, 15May09 10:20

Good news, I don't know if you will need this translation skills in the future, but you will see big improvements after this work.
Math teacher seems very big as game, it wouldn't have been better to begin with something smaller, but I haven't played any Pierre's game, so my idea could be wrong and in any case it's up to you to decide, maybe you have time only now and so you want to spend the time translating the best game produced by Serge, those are things we cannot know.
Good luck.
Rexxx
lagoon predator

Postby paquito » Sat, 15May09 11:04

Improve my English skill, especially in translation from French to English will be quite useful for me in the future. In fact, I'm way better for translation from English to French and I need to practice for my last year of Bachelor degree (third year of University in France, I have a doubt about the name of the year... sorry).

For the choice of the game, all Serge's games are pretty long, and "Ma prof de maths" is one of his oldest games. Plus, it is very well done and I guess easier for beginners in Serge's games. The only two games done before this one, were for the very firt one a bit simple and the second one is in fact a game in several parts with several passwords given depending your results in all parts. So, in a shorter way, the first game was too short and simple and the second is in three parts and the passwords system is a bit complex...

For people who want take a look to the French version: http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2600
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby artorawley » Sun, 15May10 04:32

I've been interested in Serge's games but I don't know a lick of French. If you translated one of his games I'd be very grateful, so good luck on this endeavor.
artorawley
lagoon predator

Postby paquito » Sun, 15May10 09:26

Thanks for your support! It will be long, it will difficult, but it will be done!

Unfortunaly, the translation won't be as good as the original version, because of the plethora of jokes, expressions and word plays absolutly untranslatable.

Initially, my plan was to start translating wednesday, but I started yesterday, and.... OMG the "guts" of the game are damn complex. There is so many conditions, alternative texts, etc...

For now, I translate the "hidden part of the iceberg", character descriptions, item descriptions, location descriptions, etc...

By the way, I have a question for people playing with Adrift games and not in France... Are special symbols(é è à î,ç, this kind of thing...) troublesome for you in an Adrift game? it's mostly for some names loke Stéphanie, Geneviève and Françoise.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby luke » Tue, 15May12 12:15

Salut paquito,
Gros challenge... Pour avoir fait la traduction français - anglais de quelques dialogues des jeux de shark, c'est franchement pas évident.
Le mode de fonctionnement pour ses jeux est le suivant : un francophone fait une 1ère traduction, qui est ensuite relue par un ou plusieurs anglophones. Après, vient la problématique de la nationalité de l'anglophone... Ben oui, les anglais, les américains ou les australiens ont différentes expressions pour dire une même chose en français...
Si tu arrives à trouver quelqu'un qui peut te corriger au fur et à mesure, c'est bien, parce que tu risques effectivement de refaire toujours les mêmes approximations.
Et pour répondre à ta dernière question sur les caractères accentués, je ne pense pas que ce soit Adrift le problème, mais les claviers. Il me semble que les claviers de nos chers amis anglophones n'ont pas les caractères accentués
Que la Force de Shark soit avec toi / May the Shark Force be with you
luke

Postby paquito » Tue, 15May12 16:03

Pour les caractères spéciaux je sais, mais c'était pour savoir si leur affichage posait problème aux gens, un exemple serait le jeu "Infidèle" de Zigmut pour RAGS.

Je suis justement à la recherche d'anglophones pouvant à la fois corriger ma grammaire (je ne doute pas qu'il y en aura...) et donner un côté plus naturel aux textes, même si les traductions sont bonnes, elles seront je pense relativement "plates" voir même fade pour un jeu basé essentiellement sur du texte.
Concernant la traduction, je suis bien meilleur en partant de l'anglais vers le français, mais avec ce projet, je cherche à améliorer ma grammaire et ma syntaxe anglaise, sans oublier que ça m'apportera une bonne dose de vocabulaire supplémentaire.
Pour le problème de la variante de la langue, je dois bien avouer que je ne suis pas spécialement aux faits de ce qui touche l'anglais d'Australie, mais globalement l'anglais britannique et l'anglais US sont grosso modo les mêmes,quelques mots diffèrent et l'anglais US à tendance à raccourcir certaines formes grammaticales mais ils arrivent à se comprendre donc... pourquoi chercher midi à quatorze heure... surtout sur un jeu aussi long. :p

De toute façon, soyons réalistes, il y aura toujours des mécontents, mais si je devais choisir, j'opterais pour l'anglais d'Oxford, vu que c'est celui qui est enseigné aux non-anglophiles.

Quick update: Translation is over for characters and items; locations (descriptions + variations of the text depending situations) are in progress (25% done).

I'm still looking for a native English speaker who could be able to correct my mistakes (grammar, syntax, etc...) and could give a more natural feel to the texts in order to give you the best translation as possible.
Last edited by paquito on Tue, 15May12 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby ttant » Tue, 15May12 18:47

paquito wrote:I'm still looking for a native English speaker who could be able correct my mistakes (grammar, syntax, etc...) and could give a more natural feel to the texts in order to give you the best translation as possible.

Je peux te relire si tu veux ;)
ttant
star of the reef

Postby paquito » Thu, 15May14 09:20

Tu es Canadien ttant?

The translation of the "frame of the game" should be finished in 3-4 days. But before to start translating the actual story, I need people motivated to correct my mistakes (grammar, unproper words, unusual expressions, etc....).
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby ttant » Thu, 15May14 11:32

paquito wrote:Tu es Canadien ttant?

Non français [img]images/icones/icon15.gif[/img]
ttant
star of the reef

Postby paquito » Thu, 15May14 12:12

Comme tu citais une phrase avec "native English speakers" dedans, je me suis dit peut-être qu'il est Canadien... XD

L'intérêt de faire corriger la traduction pour un anglophone natif est de pourvoir corriger mes fautes, cela va de soi, mais aussi enrichir le niveau d'expression du jeu. Un jeu basé essentiellement sur du texte repose pour beaucoup sur le niveau de langue et les tournures de phrases. Je pense que le jeu aurait l'air moins "générique" et plus agréable pour les anglophones si le jeu avait l'air plus "vivant". Apparemment, certains sur ce forum sont mécontent de l'anglais que l'on trouve dans les jeu traduit d'une tierce langue vers l'anglais (cf l'affaire Pinkvendetta), et je ne voudrais pas me retrouver face à des critique du genre parce que j'aurais cédé à la facilité. La traduction du jeu sera longue mais je préfère prendre mon temps et faire en sorte de fournir le meilleur travail possible.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby ttant » Thu, 15May14 20:48

L'effort est louable, mais dans tous les cas, tu ara des raleurs/déçus : soit parce que tu prendrs "trop de temps" à leur yeux, soit parce que le résultat sera trop approximatif. Qualque soit ta décision, mon offre tiens toujours.
ttant
star of the reef

Postby paquito » Fri, 15May15 07:42

Okidoki, je garde ça à l'esprit. Vu comme c'est parti, il y a de grandes chances que je fasse appelle à toi. Je dois bien avouer être déçu, on voit souvent des messages disant "c'est dommage, tel ou tel jeu n'est pas en anglais...", mais quand on se propose d'en traduire un et qu'on demande un peu d'aide (la correction prend énormément moins de temps et est bien moins dure que la traduction), alors là, il n'y a plus personne...
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby shaffinaaz » Fri, 15May15 15:50

Salut paquito,

Je m'proposerai mais ma langue maternelle n'est ni l'anglais, ni le francais. C'est plus un slang|dialecte du francais...

Pour les claviers qui n'ont pas les caracteres accentues, on peut utiliser le bouton ALT suivi d'un chiffre entre 130 et 150 sous Windoze.
Par exemple:
ALT + 130 = é
ALT + 138 = è
ALT + 133 = à
ALT + 140 = î
ALT + 135 = ç

Christina.
shaffinaaz
Pilot fish

sex: Female

Postby paquito » Fri, 15May15 16:47

Merci pour l'astuce. Quelqu'un m'a déjà donner la réponse, la question concernait l'affichage de ce genre de caractères dans des pays où la langue en est dépourvu. Apparemment, le fait d'utiliser des accents sur Adrift ne pose pas de problème.

Update: The translation of locations is almost over (still 5 to translate). Before Monday, this part of the translation will be ready for correction. I'm still looking for volunteers to help me to translate this game (grammar, expression, etc...).
I won't translate further before all description and texts for items, characters and locations are checked. Please, help me to improve the quality of this translation. I know, it will be long and difficult, but the result will be way better and the game will be way more enjoyable for players.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Next

Return to Projects