Touch or Mouse Control

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Re: Touch or Mouse Control

Postby TeineWolf » Sat, 14Nov08 22:19

Mimailia wrote:
Greebo wrote:Interesting that the present touchscreen fad is ignoring the '80s realisation of the "Gorilla Arm" problem

Every new generation thinks THEY can reinvent the wheel. So much in this world that used to be "as good as it gets" is now junk.

M

Edit: BTW, I was given a touch pad (this mess in the middle of my laptop), in the mid 1990's. I work with spreadsheets a lot, and the pad woefully failed at the accuracy+quickness of the mouse.
That is true. Compaq back in the day, created the Compaq Concerto. It wasn't proper touch screen, it used a stylus, over a mouse. It was a nice little lap top concept. You could use it like a standard laptop, that is standard keyboard/screen layout. Then be able to separate the two piece. And re-connect them, with the screen facing up, and the keyboard, now hidden by the screen. Leaving you with a very clunky, but cool, tablet.
TeineWolf
lagoon predator

sex: Masculine

Postby PinkVendetta » Sat, 14Nov08 22:47

Mimailia wrote:
Greebo wrote:Interesting that the present touchscreen fad is ignoring the '80s realisation of the "Gorilla Arm" problem

Every new generation thinks THEY can reinvent the wheel. So much in this world that used to be "as good as it gets" is now junk.

M

Edit: BTW, I was given a touch pad (this mess in the middle of my laptop), in the mid 1990's. I work with spreadsheets a lot, and the pad woefully failed at the accuracy+quickness of the mouse.

At least though the likes of IBM and Compaq eventually saw sense and saw they could not hold a decent market share with the likes of Dell and Apple Mac for sales to the public and dropped out of sales to the general public and went for the Server side of the market.

Gateway made a great PC for a long time and then the same happened to them as the bottom fell out of their share of the market to the public also, pity, a lot of good PC makers went to the wall leaving only the elite few, though you got to hand it to Bill Gates and his backers in reality, his Operating System is on most of the computers in the world today.
PinkVendetta
star of the reef

sex: Female

Postby Squeeky » Sat, 14Nov08 23:24

tlaero asked:
Which would you rather have in a game, the ability to use a touch-only tablet or mouse control of animations? If you'd like to explain why, that's helpful too.

This discussion is getting far and away fro what she asked.
Let's keep that discussion specific to her ask.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby tlaero » Sun, 14Nov09 01:21

Thank you, Squeaky.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

Postby TeineWolf » Sun, 14Nov09 03:41

The intent was to enforce the idea, that predicting the future of technology is not a slam dunk. I've been selling and building computers since the 90's. So I've witnessed a lot of technology that came out too early, or not soon enough. Right now the media battle field is between smart phones, and mobile PC's. Whether is be of market dominance, or feature dominance. Will the mouse really every become extinct?

First thing I buy with a new lap top, is a wireless keyboard/mouse combo. So the conundrum is, how long will the mouse survive. And what will replace it, as being the more popular technology. Stylus technology existed back in the day of the Concerto, and the Apple Newton. The Newton dominated, and PDA's went out of fashion. I even used to have an old Sharp organizer, that used a stylus.

The point was not to digress, but to show how unpredictable the market can be. Years ago I brought up a similar issue on MUD Connecter. That they should start considering, to make MUD's portable, to Smart Phones. At that time they asked why, and a few years later they were complaining it wasn't happening fast enough.

To make a MUD into an APP, shouldn't have been that hard. All you had to do was create a very lite UNIX variant, that could handle wireless communications. Most phones have some sort of keyboard interface, so the basics were available. Just set up a virtual UNIX server host, and clients log in. Viola, instant'ish MUD APP.

Now before I digress again. What is the real question that needs to be asked. It about adapting AC for use only on touch media, or find a way for all Web based game that are HTML/JAVA-Script or Shockwave FLASH to work on all. Or is it a mishmash in the middle. If we can decide on a direction to take it, I don't mind doing a little leg, well stubby finger, work to see what can be done.

I just like to do things old school. Which it to figure out where you want to end up firstly, see where you are at secondly, then thirdly figure out how to move that way. Not A to B to C, but A to this works B, that works better B, almost perfect B, and the C. While allowing a legacy. Where games made by A, will work with C.
TeineWolf
lagoon predator

Postby Squeeky » Sun, 14Nov09 04:51

Now .... that does bring the discussion back into focus.

Since I cannot read tlaero's mind, and she posed the question, it is bettr that she take control.
Many thanks for those background thoughts.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby tlaero » Sun, 14Nov09 05:53

I'm well versed in the history of computers. That's not what I'm asking for. I just want to know whether the consumers of my games prefer interactive control or touch support. I ask this not to get a history debate, but to help me decide where to spend my efforts. I would like to focus on that question, please.

I wish we could do this in a forum that more of those consumers read, though.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby LostTrout » Sun, 14Nov09 06:06

Anybody who downloads your game is definitely playing with a mouse. It is hard to get these .html games working on an android or ios tablet. Some people may be playing online. Why don't you ask for the logs for the online versions of your games and see how many are tablet users?
LostTrout
sirens hunter

Postby TeineWolf » Sun, 14Nov09 06:10

My apologies Tlaero. It's hard to read the tea leaves.

A man who no more knows his destiny than a tea leaf knows the history of the East India company.

- hhgttg
No one knows the destiny of your games. I am just suggesting a course to make it possibly available to both somehow. But that is an other option onto it's self.
TeineWolf
lagoon predator

Postby tlaero » Sun, 14Nov09 06:32

I'm not asking what people do. I'm asking what they want.

Ignore the technology. Ignore the quality of current tablets. Ignore the techniques that might be used to make interactive touch control. Those are all fine discussions for other threads.

Each of my games have been played by over 10,000 people. I'm trying to tap into some of those people and get the answer to the question I asked at the start of this thread. Namely, if you play and enjoy my games, would you prefer Coffee for Keisha style interactivity or would you prefer touch support?

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby TeineWolf » Sun, 14Nov09 06:47

tlaero wrote:I'm not asking what people do. I'm asking what they want.

Ignore the technology. Ignore the quality of current tablets. Ignore the techniques that might be used to make interactive touch control. Those are all fine discussions for other threads.

Each of my games have been played by over 10,000 people. I'm trying to tap into some of those people and get the answer to the question I asked at the start of this thread. Namely, if you play and enjoy my games, would you prefer Coffee for Keisha style interactivity or would you prefer touch support?

Tlaero
I can't answer that.

I love your games, enjoy is too simple a term. But, interactivity is what I enjoyed it CfK. Doesn't the site allow to post a poll, into a post or a thread? That's a fairly standard option these days. Unless they are worried about over use?
TeineWolf
lagoon predator

Postby LRM » Sun, 14Nov09 07:40

I think they have answered M'lady... Overwhelmingly in favor of the mouse.
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby Hoboy » Sun, 14Nov09 08:44

And I think I will echo - mouse. At least for now, it will continue to win over tablets for gaming at this level. The market has seen a turnaround from tablets back to laptops, so the future is not set as of yet...
Hoboy
lagoon predator

Postby PinkVendetta » Sun, 14Nov09 10:55

LRM wrote:I think they have answered M'lady... Overwhelmingly in favor of the mouse.

Yup agreed, Mouse, as sad as it sounds and even as funny as it sounds, the Mouse is right now at this point in time a perfected technology that works all the time, touch screen is no where close to perfected as of yet.

Sorry for drifting off topic also :lol: I am passionate about both Computer Legacy and Computer Futures, though I did not in reality go to far off topic, because had all of those great computer makers not gone to the wall, touch screen would be way way further along now technology wise than it is right now, the remaining elite few PC makers hold back technology like touch screen on purpose for extra sales from upgrades endlessly, sad but true fact.

Mouse perfected now, touch screen endless updates and endless upgrades while in the hands of the elite few big PC makers.
PinkVendetta
star of the reef

Postby Greyelf » Sun, 14Nov09 12:52

TeineWolf wrote:
Greyelf wrote:
TeineWolf wrote:As you know Java is another way for a Browser, to access System Resources.
I am assuming you actually meant Java-script, which has almost no relationship to Java besides having a similar name and some basic language constructs.
Correct.

Java-script is a CLI version of compilable/executable Java.

Sorry but that is not true.
W3 and Wikipedia
Greyelf
star of the reef

PreviousNext

Return to Projects