WebGL for games

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

WebGL for games

Postby Squeeky » Sun, 14Sep28 00:42

In the thread Shark's Lagoon/Sharks games/next game? didou asked Shark this:
Pourquoi ne pas utiliser HTML5 et WebGl avec L'API BabylonJS qui est le top du top plutôt que flash pour avoir des rendus directement en 3d plutôt que des rendus en images. La qualité serait énorme et permettrait des effets de lumière et autre plus intéressantes, des effets de particules (pour les éjaculations par exemple) donnerait du réalisme de dingue. Les scènes aurait plus de vie et permettrait aussi d'avoir des modèles avec plus de lissage (ou plus de poly) et tout cela avec un moteur de jeu spécifique fait, permettrait de développer les jeux en 2, 3 mois au lieu de 4, 5.

Ce n’est que mon avis, mais cela serais une super évolution des jeux de shark, une modernisation qui en blufferait plus d'un. Parce que c’est vrais que les jeux de shark sont vraiment cool, mais le seule défaut c'est les graphismes qui sont d'assez basse qualité et avec WebGL la qualité serais multiplier par 10 sans problèmes de performance en développement et en jouabilité.

On-line translation:
Why not use HTML5 and WebGL with BabylonJS The API is the best of the best rather than flash to be made ​​directly in 3D rather than rendered images. The quality would be enormous and would light effects and other more interesting particle effects (for example ejaculations) would realism crazy. The scenes have more life and would also have models with more smoothing (or poly) and all with a specific game engine actually possible to develop games 2, 3 months instead of 4 5.

This is just my opinion, but it would be a great change games shark, a modernization that in addition to a bluff. Because it's true that games of shark are really cool, but the only downside being that the graphics are pretty low quality and with WebGL quality would multiply by 10 without performance problems developing and playability.

I have used some JVG (Javascript Vector Graphics) for 2D drawings.
I have played with the animation routine in Anim8or.
The demonstration offered here gives some understandings of what didou was discussing.

I'd like to explore the concept of how to use WebGL, and what technologies work easily with it.
Shark does employ ActionScript from time to time, how compatible is it.
tlaero's Adventure Creator tool would seemingly work well here, true?
Can Daz models (and the like) be used easily?
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

sex: Masculine

Re: WebGL for games

Postby tlaero » Sun, 14Sep28 05:01

I haven't played with WebGL but I have experience with XNA. Since both use low level access to the video card, I'll assume perf is similar.

There are two issues with using Daz in 3D games.
1) The models are too detailed for high speed rendering. The scenes that Wolf renders usually take multiple minutes on a high end gaming PC. A 3D game needs to render multiple frames a second.
2) DAZ has licensing restrictions on using its models in a 3D game. Using DAZ to create JPEGs for games is allowed, but you need to pay extra if you switch to 3D.

There are mechanisms for dealing with 1 that involve simplifying the models (reducing the number of polygons). They're not trivial, but are doable. Of course, the models don't look as good when you do this. The licensing is the bigger deal. Most of us don't charge for our games, so paying fees to create them is prohibitive.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Squeeky » Sun, 14Sep28 05:53

Ah!
In that case there is no point in anyone trying to put pressure on Shark to modify his mode of presentation.

That said however need not prevent us from exploring this topic deeper. Since I began this I have followed seen some concepts which are interesting. One had Earth and Mars in the frame, the Page Source (and javascript) was showing JPG and not GIF! Seemingly the JPGs were being overlaid in quick succession to imitate an animated GIF but without suffering the quality loss. Then there was a demo of "Assassin's Creed Pirates" (at http://www.babylonjs.com/). The later didn't have the same quality of graphics as the mentioned planets.

Looking at the material at "Babylon" it appears to be very much code driven. I could understand Shark taking one look at that and shy away; oh, he can work with code to drive his animations but he is adamant that he not a programmer.
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby tlaero » Sun, 14Sep28 23:24

Yeah, WebGL is very promising. It's good to get a standard for 3D on the web (though I don't think the standard is finished yet). 3D in general is quite a bit harder to code than 2D, though, so animations through a series of jpegs is likely to be then norm in erotic games for a while.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Greyelf » Mon, 14Sep29 03:12

Another problem with WebGL is that some web-browsers (Firefox, Others) conditionally block access to WebGL features if the user is using the wrong Graphics Card or Driver, even though these same users are currently able to run Flash apps that use similar features.

Mostly this is due to compatibility or performance and there are browser config switches people can sometimes use to get around the issues if they are not able to update their Card or Driver to a supported one.
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby didou » Wed, 14Oct01 02:05

WebGL has evolved. What was true there are 2, 3 years is no longer true today. And APIs Babylon that is modern as possible to do amazing things and compatible on any browser and even tablets and iPhone ...
I use it myself and I have no performance problems.

Also, according to the API used can have different result. There Thee.js among the best known, but code did not as modern as Babylon.js which is currently the best, robust, stable, and easy to use. The developer is not an amateur.

Sorry for my english, i use a translator.
didou
great white shark

Postby LRM » Wed, 14Oct01 06:19

@ didou
Sorry for my English, i use a translator.

This discussion is way over my head, but why not post in your native language too. Multiple translators can be used and we may get a better idea of what you mean. You are still welcome to provide an English version (some readers will not translate), but maybe we'll get a better picture.
Lou
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby Squeeky » Wed, 14Oct01 07:38

LRM, didou's English comment is generally fine to convey the concepts he intends, but yes, it could stand some "tweaking". Certainly he could write in French but I think others versed in the technology would understand his view point.

In a very rough kind of a way he is stating that there are ways to use Javascript coding within a browser to accomplish some amazing things.
One "protocol", more probably best described as a library of javascript functions is three.js. He is also mentioning that he believes that Babylon.js is a more modern coding and more stable than three.js.

Walter Zorn built a great 2D javascript graphics library (JVG - javascript vector graphics). It's biggest drawback really is that everything had to be manually coded. I have not had time to realise three.js or Babylon.js but I think that one still needs a good programming sense even with the latter.
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Return to Projects