Haunted Island Episode II -Testing

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Haunted Island Episode II -Testing

Postby arnii » Sun, 14Aug03 22:35

Not really that close to completion yet (hopefully by September), however I have put one of the two new mini games live for testing:

http://www.arniigames.eu/h2_alpha_test.php

Any comments welcome.

Arnii
arnii
great white shark

sex: Masculine

Re: Haunted Island Episode II -Testing

Postby fleet » Sun, 14Aug03 23:28

The instructions for the ball toss were clear. The first three times I tossed the ball my score was zero, but II was able to unlock the 'hidden scene' (Letter F) on my sixth toss (second set of three throws).

I didn't hear any sounds during the mini-game, so I assume there were none.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, using Google Chrome version 36.0.1985.125 m
Check out my latest adult visual novel "After She Left"
at http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4363
I moderate at http://undertow.club
fleet
Great Master of corals

Postby ltpika » Mon, 14Aug04 00:56

I only get two tosses, then automatic F, even if I got 200
ltpika
star of the reef

Postby arnii » Mon, 14Aug04 21:07

I only get two tosses, then automatic F, even if I got 200

Thanks for having a look. Fixed the bug with the reduced number of attempts (this was because the ball hitting the ground and then going out of bounds was triggering two attempts). The grading is just a legacy of the episode 1 code and should be ignored - essentially it is the same game engine with only one scene included. You can get enough points to get an A if you really accurate - even get on the leaderboard for episode 1 [img]images/icones/icon14.gif[/img]
arnii
great white shark

Postby arnii » Mon, 14Aug04 21:10

The instructions for the ball toss were clear. The first three times I tossed the ball my score was zero, but II was able to unlock the 'hidden scene' (Letter F) on my sixth toss (second set of three throws).

I didn't hear any sounds during the mini-game, so I assume there were none.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, using Google Chrome version 36.0.1985.125 m

Thanks. Sounds like it is behaving as it should do. The other behaviour that I'm looking for is to see if the bonus scene is unlocked - but this is quite challenging as you basically have to get the ball right next to the pin.
arnii
great white shark

Postby MysteryMan2333 » Tue, 14Aug05 01:43

I think this mini-game is better than anything that was included in Episode 1. However, I'm not sure what the plan for this is, but as a suggestion I would either have this really early in the episode, or include some sort of option to be able to replay the mini-game if you don't get close enough. I wouldn't want to play through 10 minutes of an episode, just to get to the ball toss scene in order to try and unlock a bonus scene, only to then fail and have to play it all over again.

As for the actual game, for my 1st and 3rd toss, I came close enough to unlock the bonus scene (it said bonus scene unlocked after the 1st toss). Afterwards, it showed I got a C, but then nothing else happened. It just gave me an option to go back to the main menu, which is the same thing that happened when I failed all 3 tosses and got an E. If there actually was supposed to be a bonus scene included, it did not show for me. Additionally, when I go back to the main menu and try to start the game again, it doesn't load again for me. I have to refresh the page (which isn't really a big deal); I'm playing on Firefox if that matters.
MysteryMan2333
sirens hunter

Postby 6opoga » Tue, 14Aug05 12:22

Code: Select all
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot set property 'scn' of undefined scene.js:5
Scene scene.js:5
(anonymous function) scene.js:308
b.SignalBinding.execute phaser.min.js:6
b.Signal.dispatch phaser.min.js:6
dispatch phaser.min.js:6
b.Tween.update phaser.min.js:12
b.TweenManager.update phaser.min.js:11
b.Game.update phaser.min.js:8
b.RequestAnimationFrame.updateRAF phaser.min.js:11
window.requestAnimationFrame.forceSetTimeOut._onLoop

chrome shows error in "this.game.scn = this;" string

getting "bonus scene unlocked", then back to main menu and black screen after clicking "start" button
6opoga
great white shark

Postby arnii » Tue, 14Aug05 19:12

MysteryMan2333 wrote:I think this mini-game is better than anything that was included in Episode 1. However, I'm not sure what the plan for this is, but as a suggestion I would either have this really early in the episode, or include some sort of option to be able to replay the mini-game if you don't get close enough. I wouldn't want to play through 10 minutes of an episode, just to get to the ball toss scene in order to try and unlock a bonus scene, only to then fail and have to play it all over again.

I plan to have skip links to both the mini-games as playing through would indeed be tedious to say the least. I was going to do this one of three ways:

1) Have an unlock code that is revealed on completion of the game - this would enable links to the mini-games from the start scene.
2) Have a general unlock code that allows you to skip each scene.
3) Use cookies to determine when a user has completed the game, and then allow them to skip to the scene.

I will consider any other ideas too.

As for the actual game, for my 1st and 3rd toss, I came close enough to unlock the bonus scene (it said bonus scene unlocked after the 1st toss). Afterwards, it showed I got a C, but then nothing else happened. It just gave me an option to go back to the main menu, which is the same thing that happened when I failed all 3 tosses and got an E. If there actually was supposed to be a bonus scene included, it did not show for me. Additionally, when I go back to the main menu and try to start the game again, it doesn't load again for me. I have to refresh the page (which isn't really a big deal); I'm playing on Firefox if that matters.

This sounds like it is behaving exactly as expected. I have not included the bonus scene, because I haven't completed it yet. The ranking mechanism is a legacy of the episode one code and the return to menu doesn't work because it relies on code that is not in the testing version.
arnii
great white shark

Postby arnii » Tue, 14Aug05 19:14

6opoga wrote:
Code: Select all
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot set property 'scn' of undefined scene.js:5
Scene scene.js:5
(anonymous function) scene.js:308
b.SignalBinding.execute phaser.min.js:6
b.Signal.dispatch phaser.min.js:6
dispatch phaser.min.js:6
b.Tween.update phaser.min.js:12
b.TweenManager.update phaser.min.js:11
b.Game.update phaser.min.js:8
b.RequestAnimationFrame.updateRAF phaser.min.js:11
window.requestAnimationFrame.forceSetTimeOut._onLoop

chrome shows error in "this.game.scn = this;" string

getting "bonus scene unlocked", then back to main menu and black screen after clicking "start" button

Thanks for testing the game, these are expected errors, just wanted to know if the physics was working ok across platforms and devices.
arnii
great white shark

Postby TeineWolf » Thu, 14Aug07 07:03

One small bug I discovered. If on the 3rd throw, you toss the ball straight up. So it lands on the same page as the character. The game is not clearing the ball from the screen, and the ball remains on the following screens.

You might want to add a boolean check, to see if the bonus scene is unlocked or not. The bonus scene unlocked message should appear only once. So set a flag, like Bonus_Flag=FALSE. So if a person gets it on the first toss, set Bonus_Flag=TRUE. So if the event happens, where the player gets the score they need again. If the flag is tripped, they shouldn't get the message again.
TeineWolf
lagoon predator

Postby arnii » Thu, 14Aug07 21:35

TeineWolf wrote:One small bug I discovered. If on the 3rd throw, you toss the ball straight up. So it lands on the same page as the character. The game is not clearing the ball from the screen, and the ball remains on the following screens.

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of thing i'm looking out for. I will investigate.

You might want to add a boolean check, to see if the bonus scene is unlocked or not. The bonus scene unlocked message should appear only once. So set a flag, like Bonus_Flag=FALSE. So if a person gets it on the first toss, set Bonus_Flag=TRUE. So if the event happens, where the player gets the score they need again. If the flag is tripped, they shouldn't get the message again.

This should be sorted, now a nice graphic appears (once) saying that the bonus scene is unlocked.
arnii
great white shark

Postby arnii » Sun, 14Aug17 22:57

Second mini game ready for preliminary testing. Please take a look and let me know what you think:

http://www.arniigames.eu/h2_alpha_test.php

Lots of the artwork is already done, even so I think it will still be September sometime before publishing the full game.
arnii
great white shark

Postby fleet » Mon, 14Aug18 02:42

The instruction screen was not on long enough for me to read all of the directions the first play-through. If someone is not proficient in English it would be more difficult for them to read it.
This one is pretty difficult, but I finally managed to win three rounds after playing for about 15 minutes. If you implement this in Episode 2, I'd recommend permitting unlimited replays of the mini-game (versus having to restart the Episode 2 from the beginning when you lose the mini-game). ;)
I noticed that sometimes the opponent had a wipe-out. :lol:
Check out my latest adult visual novel "After She Left"
at http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4363
I moderate at http://undertow.club
fleet
Great Master of corals

Postby SoulMate » Mon, 14Aug18 22:02

Works great. With firebug open a little slow here, but without firebug is very nice.

Got one error: TypeError: this.restart is not a function: this.restart();
BoatJump.js (line 354, col 5)

Its nice to see someone with really nice javascript skills here :-)

edit: Hmm, just foud out there is an end line. She did wipeout mostly in the beginning in the first few tries. But when letting her start first, she plays less agressive and continues to the end.
When i start immidiatly, she falls behind and plays to agressive, which let me always win.
Needs some tweaking i guess. Some 3 2 1 counter maybe.

Also the first time i red the explanation in the beginning, it was too fast (maybe include a 'next' button). Also it didn't say i had to hold the left mouse button, so i started with the arrows and spacebar :??:
SoulMate
great white shark

Postby arnii » Tue, 14Aug19 20:51

fleet wrote:The instruction screen was not on long enough for me to read all of the directions the first play-through. If someone is not proficient in English it would be more difficult for them to read it.
This one is pretty difficult, but I finally managed to win three rounds after playing for about 15 minutes. If you implement this in Episode 2, I'd recommend permitting unlimited replays of the mini-game (versus having to restart the Episode 2 from the beginning when you lose the mini-game). ;)
I noticed that sometimes the opponent had a wipe-out. :lol:

Thanks fleet. Yes, there will be unlimited replays here. Also, i'll do something about the instructions - probably click to continue.
arnii
great white shark

Next

Return to Projects