Haunted Island Episode II -Testing

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Re: Haunted Island Episode II -Testing

Postby arnii » Tue, 14Aug19 21:01

SoulMate wrote:Works great. With firebug open a little slow here, but without firebug is very nice.

This is why there is no splash for Chloe - too much of a resource drain.

Got one error: TypeError: this.restart is not a function: this.restart();
BoatJump.js (line 354, col 5)

Hmmm. This makes little sense. Perhaps some intermittent error.

Its nice to see someone with really nice javascript skills here :-)

Thanks!!

edit: Hmm, just foud out there is an end line. She did wipeout mostly in the beginning in the first few tries. But when letting her start first, she plays less agressive and continues to the end.
When i start immidiatly, she falls behind and plays to agressive, which let me always win.
Needs some tweaking i guess. Some 3 2 1 counter maybe.

I'll look into this. I have adjusted the stability so she should wipeout a bit less, I may adjust it so she's a bit quicker to start if this does not work. 3-2-1 counter a great idea, i'll put it in.

Also the first time i red the explanation in the beginning, it was too fast (maybe include a 'next' button). Also it didn't say i had to hold the left mouse button, so i started with the arrows and spacebar :??:
[/quote]

Noted.
arnii
great white shark

sex: Masculine

Postby TeineWolf » Wed, 14Sep03 01:17

Is there a way to add on a speed gauge? Something simple, lie a circle, with a speed line. Or just a line bar, that shows the speed ratio. From slow to fast. Or throttle, like low to high.
TeineWolf
lagoon predator

Haunted Island

Postby ExtraStiffy » Thu, 14Sep04 22:14

I've been gone a while... What did I miss?

JK... Actually, I just stumbled across this one, figured I'd pass it along. Good artwork, decent story line. Still needs a little work / tweaking in the game play department, but it definitely has potential.

"Haunted Island" by http://www.arniigames.eu/ (apologies if violates the terms, Shark, like I said, I've been gone a while. I don't recall if posting links to other webpages is okay or not.)
Don't sweat the petty things. And while you're at it... don't pet the sweaty things.
ExtraStiffy
great white shark

Postby nosckaj » Fri, 14Sep05 11:52

The mini game is a little bit complicated, but if you have many attempts without doing all the previous story and if the reward worth it, I think the difficulty could be good.
nosckaj
Pilot fish

Re: Haunted Island

Postby kessie8yl » Fri, 14Sep05 19:53

Tried this in IE 11, Opera, Chrome and Firefox and, despite what it says, it seems equally as buggy on all of them...

Too many dialogue boxes - we are capable of reading more than 1 line of dialogue at a time - it just makes it so boring having to click through the same scenes over and over again.

Even without the bugs which seem to end up with the game freezing there are too many variations of how the action is controlled and none are particularly well executed.

The "hotspots" are inconsistent. Sometimes it's a tiny spot that "sparkles" when clicked - others
like the naked guy on the beach
seem to need you to move the mouse as well.

The "moving circle" isn't explained at all - there seems to be no penalty for not completing the bar, which is just as well because it seems near impossible to complete. Sometimes it moves a lot, sometimes a little, with no apparent connection to the "accuracy" of your click. I'm still not sure if yellow is "good" or "bad"...

The "drag down" action isn't explained very well but even when it's discovered, there are so many inconsistencies. Half the time the game doesn't seem to recognise the cursor position and by the time it wakes up it tells you you're "Slow" even though you may have completed the action several times... I also find rapid movement of the cursor annoying because it's so hard to keep it within the frame.

There may be even more control actions I haven't discovered because I gave up at the point when I was awarded some unexpected arbitrary "score" with no idea whether the next frozen screen was another bug or because I hadn't scored enough.

Games that require a certain score being achieved should make it clear what that score is and also send you back to try again once you've reached a point where it would not be possible to achieve that score. There is no point in playing any more scenes if even achieving 100% will not make up for the number of points you've already dropped. There should also be a way to save the game between scenes so players can preserve their best scores (see my previous comment regarding constant repetition).

On a more positive note the graphics are pretty good and the storyline was very promising but I just don't have the patience to continue. It seems that progressing to Part 2 has been considered to take priority over fixing Part 1, so it could be quite a while before I ever revisit this game. That's a pity because I'd really like to see how it turns out...
kessie8yl
legend of the South Seas

Previous

Return to Projects