heyoo anyone feel like testing?

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Re: heyoo anyone feel like testing?

Postby Super » Sat, 15Feb21 20:52

Never really played the Pleasantville games... didn't really like having to consult a guide to know when to be where.

Well, still going to try this game. Hope it's good
Super
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Postby Rexxx » Sat, 15Feb21 22:15

Return to Pleasantville was a very big game in every sense, so a map was very useful, but I can say that after you have played for a bit you will remember the city without the map like happen in the reality.
Unfortunately inform hasn't a map as in Adrift (but each system has strong and weak points) but the game deserve.
I don't know how much years Lamont needed for that game, but even if he will create better games I don't know if he will ever do another game so "big".
Rexxx
lagoon predator

Postby lamont Sanford » Sat, 15Feb21 22:56

Even with the smaller games including the one I am working on now I keep bumping up against problems with the inform program itself. That plus just not really having time to devote to doing them will probably keep another monster like that first pleasantville game from happening again at least not anytime soon, that thing was ridiculous I forgot how many pictures that game had but It some absurd number.
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Postby lamont Sanford » Sat, 15Feb21 22:57

it's funny I think the game I liked making the most was the one people disliked the most and that was gasparillo. I can see why people would get annoyed at that game lol but I had fun making it.
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Postby Rexxx » Sun, 15Feb22 10:11

I have the suspect that you like open world games, Gasparillo wasn't a bad game, but it was difficult and with little sex, I can see people that will have liked it very much, but maybe not so many in this community.
Return to Pleasantville was also a bit difficult if you wanted to see all contents (people are used to save and undo), but even with a bad play you could have some success with girls and this encouraged to begin the game again.

Peril in Plesantville is the only AIF game in which I have thought that 2 or 3 scenes would have been better with less images, that game had really an incredible quantity of images.

You are already using some of your free time to work for free on games to share, there isn't anything bad if you haven't time to work on a big game.
I haven't attempted to program in inform and you are surely more expert, so maybe this advice will be stupid, but have you tried to see if some extensions like those done by Another wannabe could make your job easier ?
It seem that they will make the "adult" part simpler and quicker to do.
Rexxx
lagoon predator

Postby lamont Sanford » Sun, 15Feb22 18:47

With peril in pleasantville I was not using daz and rendering my own images yet hence the over abundance of pictures (because it was no work). Now with this new game the renders are much better than any previous game and more time consuming so a game with as many pictures as PIP is not feasible anymore unless I want to forgo sleep and render images 24/7/365.
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Postby lamont Sanford » Sun, 15Feb22 18:55

Re: use of extension, yeah I do uses/try out them and use them. They do make life easier. My problems with inform are that I guess I pushed it beyond what the developers had expected. I was having problems with it bleeding memory and crashing due to the huge amount of images. I was in almost daily contact with the developers submitting bug reports and trying things they said to try. They hotfixed some of the problems but even with this new game I cant test it in the inform program itself because the pictures stop showing up on screen, just blank space. So to test I need to keep creating versions of the game to test via gargoyle...and re: doing that over and over after every change I make to the game. Very slow, very tedious. Inform is what I have a comfort level using though so I keep using it, they released an updating version and it feels quite different and I ended up going back to the version I am comfortable with. Maybe for the next thing I will try using adrift or something different to give it a shot.
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Postby Rexxx » Sun, 15Feb22 19:50

I think that no one used in an AIF game so much pictures like you so I can imagine that you found problems no one thought could happen.
Every system has his problem, so it's difficult to abandon one you likes, without to be sure that the new will be right, but your problem is very tedious, so I don't know what alternative is better.
I can only advice that if you want to test adrift (maybe more easy to learn than tads for not programmer) try with a short game, maybe putting the same an incredible quantity of images or put many locations (but with blank text for not losing time), so to be sure that adrift is fitting to you, working for months before learning of some big bugs or limitations would be very sad.
Rags can also be an alternative, it's something very different to inform or even adrift and so I don't know how much you can like it, but it seems to not have problem with huge quantity of images.

You don't need so many images as in pleasantville, so it's not a problem if you cannot create so many, but your style in that game wasn't bad, I liked that images.
Rexxx
lagoon predator

Postby bobbob1 » Mon, 15Feb23 04:19

If I remember well enough. In Return, each command of an interactive scene has a picture and this make me wonder what take most time between making a scene with one model and a lot of pics and, making two scenes with different model and a few pics?
bobbob1
great white shark

Postby lamont Sanford » Mon, 15Feb23 04:51

The one with more pics will always be longer.
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Postby lamont Sanford » Fri, 15Feb27 01:46

Update: game is pretty much done. Doing some testing on my own and I expect to get one or two outside testers soon.
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Postby deeplom » Fri, 15Feb27 16:52

2 lamont sanford: And what is the setting of the new game? A story - a linear or sandbox?
deeplom
Pilot fish

Postby lamont Sanford » Fri, 15Feb27 18:46

dating game.
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Postby Super » Fri, 15Feb27 19:53

lamont Sanford wrote:dating game.

How delightfully vague
Super
legend of the South Seas

Postby Rexxx » Fri, 15Feb27 22:38

Maybe will be a "normal" dating game, maybe will have something particular, with Lamont I'm not always sure.
I will put the next part in spoiler for who hasn't played other Lamont's games and maybe will want after the next game (all deserve in any case)
When I played for the first time Peril in plesantville I didn't finish the the game, exactly because i wasn't convinced of the change of pace in the final part (it seemed another game).
When I played return to pleasantville some events were "aliens" for me, but above all I found strange that the protagonist hadn't a better reaction fucking Becky, not only because she was ones of the very few girls he couldn't fuck in the first game (or so thought at the time) but above all because Becky was probably his major erotic dream when younger.
When I completed the first game (seen the change of style I stupidly didn't think of a sex scene at the end of the game) all became clear, even because was so easy to fuck Becky.
At the end the only two girls saved from the character's lust in first game were Samantha and Ivy (and only Ivy after the "sequel")( I'm considering Ms Williams, masseuses and strippers too secondary to count (and in any case something you could do with them, aside the teacher), I'm not remembering if Katie's mom appeared in Peril and Mae' sister and her friend had other tastes).

I seem to remember some old post in which Lamont spoke of a dating game who wanted to do, but now I don't find the post, at this point it's easier waiting the complete game and see for ourself.
Rexxx
lagoon predator

PreviousNext

Return to Projects