Build a Human???

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Build a Human???

Postby Squeeky » Mon, 14Mar24 11:28

Hey? Want to create your dream lover?
This looks interesting. Looking at the blurb one should be able to build your desired model, save it and import it to various softwares.

I have an interest in seeing what I can do with it in 3DMax.

Go to MakeHuman ... er the link reads as ... http://www.makehuman.org/

I'd be interested in the findings of our artists on this.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

sex: Masculine

Re: Build a Human???

Postby Trucla » Wed, 14Mar26 18:03

As you know, I'm not an artist. But... I don't know... it's still in alpha, and for the export feature of one of the formats, they send us to hotfile, that I heard (in this forum) having closed the shop... Well, I'm sceptic. [img]images/icones/icon11.gif[/img]
Trucla
If a guy is hungry, don't feed him! Just offer a fishing rod and teach him fishing!
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby Greebo » Wed, 14Mar26 23:50

Trucla wrote:As you know, I'm not an artist. But... I don't know... it's still in alpha, and for the export feature of one of the formats, they send us to hotfile, that I heard (in this forum) having closed the shop... Well, I'm sceptic. [img]images/icones/icon11.gif[/img]

What do you mean "it's still in alpha"? It's a stable release at 1.0.0 and the main software is a straightforward download for whatever OS you want -- Windows, OSX or Linux
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Trucla » Thu, 14Mar27 00:31

Sorry Greebo! In their home page if you scroll down you can see a section named "Pyton Powered". Read it all and see why I wrote that.
They call it stable but so Micro$oft did with most of their pre-alpha systems, when they decided to sell them as final versions... :lol:
However I don't think that MakeHuman has the same procedures. After all they are not running after money:.. Still I'm sceptic.
Cheers!
Trucla
If a guy is hungry, don't feed him! Just offer a fishing rod and teach him fishing!
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby Greebo » Thu, 14Mar27 01:04

If you look in their blog you'll find that they moved from 1.0 alpha8 to 1.0.0 stable a few days ago
Submitted by Manuel Bastioni on Mon, 03/17/2014 - 17:13

Last month Rob Baer provided us with a general introduction to MakeHuman in his first tutorial (during that time MakeHuman 1.0.0 was nearing it's final release and was called Alpha 8). In the second and third video of this series, he introduces the new camera system and the alternate topology feature available in MakeHuman.

That alpha8 reference in the Python section must be a non updated drop off. Most OSS developments tend to have more credible and well documented releases than the average M$ software, and Python is excellent for cross platform work, lending itself to scrutiny and troubleshooting by competent programmers -- my son certainly swears by it rather than swearing at it, and he's considered to be a pretty capable programmer and developer nowadays, or at least Canonical seem to think so!
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Squeeky » Thu, 14Mar27 02:52

There are some real issues here. The main page suggests some programs in which models can be used.
I assume max means 3DMAX. Somewhere, maybe in their Forums, I found mentions of Daz Studio and something to do with Poser.

A model I created is not recognised by either 3DMAX or DAZ4.
I wonder, there is an association with Blender. Might an import into Blender allow 3DMAX or DAZ4 to see it?

Maybe I need to read the Forums to see what gives. Yes, there are still things that need to be addressed, like genitalia.
One gets the impression that certain items are "in the box", but indeed receptacles are provided for storage of those.

Needs more investigation.
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Trucla » Thu, 14Mar27 18:00

Greebo wrote:If you look in their blog you'll find that they moved from 1.0 alpha8 to 1.0.0 stable a few days ago
You're right Greebo. Personally I trend to read all home pages. After seeing that "alpha", and somewhere else a link to hotfile, of course I had no interest in exploring their blog. Their fault not updating the home page.
Cheers!
Trucla
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby tlaero » Sat, 14Mar29 06:51

What does this do that Daz + Genesis doesn't?

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Squeeky » Sun, 14Mar30 09:19

tlaero wrote:What does this do that Daz + Genesis doesn't?

Tlaero

I'm not qualified to say much about that.
One attraction for this is that it is free.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Under DAZ you can (or could) acquire free default models.
Genesis provides a base "freebie" but to morph that you need to buy a package.

The Makehuman package allows you to take the base body and then configure it as you wish; you have your morphing tool already inbuilt, you don't need any other in-built model like Victoria 4 or Genesis. I'm NOT saying that DAZ supplied are better or not, just the observation.

The library of materials, etc, that is provided is quite basic.
There is support to build upon this as you might choose, like design clothing, but exploration will offer that zone.

I built a model (I called him Sumo because of his appearance and bulk) but neither DAZ or 3DMAX would accept him.
Further exploring lead me to find that I had to export him under the ".fbx" format.
Well ..... ! DAZ allowed me to IMPORT him but there were still tricks. Seems I used a poor scale for his size!
3DMAX still doesn't want to know me. Oh! It recognises the format but gives me some other error which I'm yet to solve, if ever.

Umm..... I did attempt one of the feminine additions - genitalia. Yes, I applied it but it did not accept (blend to) the coloration of the model. Under rendering it did not change.

This is still a work in progress for me at least. I'm not ready to suggest that anyone walk away from it.
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby coder » Mon, 14Mar31 00:03

I've had this program installed for a couple of years now and I think it matured nicely. The interface reacts very smoothly and has become quite intuitive. I've never done much with it. I just thought it to be an interesting idea.

I usually just look at it when it's updated by my package manager. I only run Linux myself (It's just so much easier) , so I can't say how well it works on Windows. But seeing the time it took them to come to version 1, it should run as well as any windows program. And since it's open source it won't give you the same shit as other free programs, like annoying toolbars and other unwanted programs during installation. There also are no restrictions on what you use it for.

Like squeaky said: it's a program for creating human characters from scratch. You can change every aspect of the body. All aspects ere changed with slicers. The work-flow is to first create a general set-up. Choose Height weight, race, gender, age, muscle. Then you can fine-tune the individual body parts, like circumference and length of the limbs, or the shape of the lips, nose face, etc.

The modelling part of the program is quite mature. That's also the part that makes it unique. Clothing still has some issues. Hair choices are very limited. If the model has a penis, it's always in front of his clothing
Genitals are not really realistic in general. There are a few standard poses and they can not be altered within the program. The same goes for lighting. You're better off using an external program for adding that stuff. That's also the way it's meant to be used.

The basic facial expressions are a good add-on. Once you've created your model, you can make him/her smile, sleep, look surprised, in pain, angry etc. The fine-tuning of these expressions could still use some work. It still has it quirks and it needs some improvements. Bit it will keep being developed. And since it took them over 12 years to call a release stable, it shows they don't use the term lightly.

Here's a nice nice tutorial/showcase of what you can do with it, in combination with blender.
http://www.aversionofreality.com/blog/2 ... o-overview
coder
lagoon predator

Postby Squeeky » Mon, 14Mar31 01:27

Thanks for that review coder. I had come many of the conclusions which you cite as fact so I have no reason to dispute.

I'll continue to play and investigate, particularly with the Blender interface.
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Squeeky » Thu, 15Jan29 07:35

I was trawling some youtube videos for tutorials on building models from image templates in 3DS MAX.
Each one does mean a steep learning curve, I don't mind that.

Then I found this video which suggests a means to import "MakeHuman" models into MAX (I think that it was mentioned that male genetalia in particular was not working well with clothing in the MakeHuman build at that earlier time, again that is yet to be investigated but hopefully that does not become an issue with MAX).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtrFu9EpG48
I'm yet to try it. I'm also wondering if bodypart labels are carried over too, ie, can each element be edited as a separate entity? More importantly, can those elements be programmed for animation?
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Wolfschadowe » Thu, 15Jan29 17:04

This looks interesting. I popped over to the site and took a look. I'll give it a try when I get a chance, although I'm skeptical about the usefulness to me.

It sounds like it's a pain to get everything working in DAZ, which is my primary tool. The free DAZ plus the free Genesis 2 figure is already very customizable with the basic included morphs. Add to that the DAZ D-Form function and weight brush that allows me to create my own morphs and I can recreate just about anything, with a little practice, with the added benefit that it's already rigged and poseable. Add to that the free GIMP software to modify textures, combined with all the free skin textures and such available from various sites, There's less value.

On the other hand, there's a lot of value in the research on topology that the team claims, and if the process for importing figures into 3D software in a usable manner are worked out, it could also be great! My curiosity is tweaked. I wonder how another open source, Python oriented 3D program would work with this. Maybe I'll try this out in Blender.

Thanks for the link Squeeky! I'm skeptical but it could also be a lot of fun and pretty useful.

Wolfschadowe
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby Skelaturi » Thu, 15Jan29 20:19

Water, 35 litres. Carbon, 20kg. Ammonia, 4 litres. Lime, 1.5kg. Phosperus, 800g. Salt, 250 g. Niter, 100g. Sulphur, 80g. Fluorine, 7.5g. Iron, 5g. Silicon 3g. And fifteen other elements. Those are the elements to make an average adult human body. You can buy these elemental ingredients at the market with the pocket money of a child. Humans are made so cheaply

couldn't resist this fma quote when i saw this topic title just yet, i am sorry if it derailed the topic with it. Will indulge conqsequences if there are any for it
Doggy style (noun)
A sexual position which allows both participants to watch TV.
---
My weakness a deviant Redhead: http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&start=4425#p97335

--
Seen anything wrong, a typo, to ask, anything else? PM me.
Skelaturi

Postby Super » Thu, 15Jan29 20:27

I tried looking into it earlier and while it's easier than dad or what er, my lack of art skills get in the way. Hm. Oh well
Super
legend of the South Seas

Next

Return to Projects