What would you want in future HTML Dating Sims?

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Re: What would you want in future HTML Dating Sims?

Postby hacko » Fri, 14Apr25 15:24

Long time lurker here, but about the Touch Friendly imagemaps, have you considered trying something like this?

http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/cssplay-r ... e-map.html

I tested it on my android browser and it works fine. The only thing I'm not too sure about is the 3-taps required to follow through a click, but I'm sure it's a start, and the hotspots could be made visible from the start (removing 1 tap, if revealing them that easy were required) by assigning .imageMap b a z-index of 100 instead of the initial 200.
hacko
Pilot fish

sex: Masculine

Postby SoulMate » Fri, 14Apr25 15:50

@hacko. Thx for the info.

I just made the image maps Touch friendly myself, wich was not that hard at al, just add another layer of divs which could be styled with css instead of limited area tags. The area tags are sill used for round and poly shapes because they are not used af far as i know.
I tested on my mobile and tablet and looks promising. The only thing i need to improve is when someone swipes over the area the title should be show like it does when hovering, but thats just a small detail.
SoulMate
great white shark

Postby tlaero » Sat, 14May03 21:35

hacko wrote:http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/cssplay-responsive-image-map.html

Thanks hacko! I didn't know about aria-haspopup. I'll play with that.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby stevedirt » Sat, 14May17 17:10

TeineWolf wrote:I am just wonder why people are still coding just within HTML. Has there been a consideration to move from HTML, to a PHP/HTML game engine. The potential down side, is the games would not be downloadable, and would require a HTTP Server with a PHP Server running as well, probably an SQL server. Which is no more, nor less, than what is required to run this forum.

The upside is you are not stuck in a linear environment. Variables would be tracked the PHP/SQL, and would remove all those checking that HTML forces you to do with, with flat (text) files. with nested IF/THEN/ELSE construct. Thoughts?

I know this was posted about a year ago, but I did like this idea and wanted to try it out.

When I tried creating a normal html game I made 1 page at a time.

When I used php / sql to make a game I made a simple template to show content pulled from the database. The text, photo, points and links were all stored in the database. By doing this I was able to create 15-20 pages at a time.

I think using php/sql cut the programming time by at least 75%.
stevedirt
great white shark

Postby SoulMate » Sat, 14May17 18:23

stevedirt wrote:
TeineWolf wrote:I am just wonder why people are still coding just within HTML. Has there been a consideration to move from HTML, to a PHP/HTML game engine. The potential down side, is the games would not be downloadable, and would require a HTTP Server with a PHP Server running as well, probably an SQL server. Which is no more, nor less, than what is required to run this forum.

The upside is you are not stuck in a linear environment. Variables would be tracked the PHP/SQL, and would remove all those checking that HTML forces you to do with, with flat (text) files. with nested IF/THEN/ELSE construct. Thoughts?

I know this was posted about a year ago, but I did like this idea and wanted to try it out.

When I tried creating a normal html game I made 1 page at a time.

When I used php / sql to make a game I made a simple template to show content pulled from the database. The text, photo, points and links were all stored in the database. By doing this I was able to create 15-20 pages at a time.

I think using php/sql cut the programming time by at least 75%.

I think there is no need for a webserver (php/sql) to reduce the pages to 1 html file. In my daily work i do a lot of server side programming and database modelling, but in my opinion its overkill (don't see the benefits of it compared to JSON + Javascript). The JSON can hold the data like the SQL database does, Javascript can do the logic like PHP does (and its possible to write clean Javascript if you have a gooed IDE and jslint/jshint).

A few weeks ago i started writing such 'engine' that runs on Javascipt / JSON. To build games for this engine, you don't need any programming skills, but programming is still possible if the engine is too limited. Feel free to view the code if you want to.
http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3217

I believe that making games should be about coming up with good stories, making nice renders. The technical stuff should be hidden as much as possible.
SoulMate
great white shark

Postby stevedirt » Sat, 14May17 19:04

SoulMate wrote:I think there is no need for a webserver (php/sql) to reduce the pages to 1 html file. In my daily work i do a lot of server side programming and database modelling, but in my opinion its overkill (don't see the benefits of it compared to JSON + Javascript). The JSON can hold the data like the SQL database does, Javascript can do the logic like PHP does (and its possible to write clean Javascript if you have a gooed IDE and jslint/jshint).

A few weeks ago i started writing such 'engine' that runs on Javascipt / JSON. To build games for this engine, you don't need any programming skills, but programming is still possible if the engine is too limited. Feel free to view the code if you want to.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3217

I believe that making games should be about coming up with good stories, making nice renders. The technical stuff should be hidden as much as possible.

I liked doing everything server side just because of the time saved. In cPanel you can Insert 40 pages at a time, and I found it nice to be able to scroll up and down to cross check all my links and story line.

My only formal education in programming was QBasic, so I imagine if you looked at my code you would be horrified. However, it is functional.

I did check out your game engine (and Adventure Creator). Both great for making games like these and 1 page at a time. I did like the logic part of AC because in my first draft I had about 30 variables being passed in the URL .. then I learned about $_session for php and that made me decide to go back to using php for a game.
stevedirt
great white shark

Postby SoulMate » Sat, 14May17 20:22

Your making me a bit curious about the way you've setup things like the SQL database. How would you for example change the page based on the state of some session variables? Are you willing to show me some stuff? Maybe we can even learn things from eachother.

Superawesomemans tossed up some idea about tying achievements to a user profile on a site. In that case there is need for an SQL database and serverside language like PHP. Maybe thats something you also like to wrap your mind around? Would be cool if there is such website where other games can put achievements and match players who achieved them.
SoulMate
great white shark

Postby stevedirt » Sat, 14May17 21:38

SoulMate wrote:Your making me a bit curious about the way you've setup things like the SQL database. How would you for example change the page based on the state of some session variables? Are you willing to show me some stuff? Maybe we can even learn things from eachother.

Here goes my best explanation:

1) A photo of the output. As you can see in the URL I have a unique 10 digit string for each user. After that is the page you are currently on. This page is libbar3.

2) A photo of the sql. You can see in the database the content of libbar3. The text, links, image type (1 = jpg, 2 = mp4), score, and special commands (used for logic check)

3) A photo of the php. So I gather the user, and page name; then populate the page content, change score, update score. This allows me virtually use a single html (php) page for the entire game. (I actually use about 6, but close enough)

SoulMate wrote:Superawesomemans tossed up some idea about tying achievements to a user profile on a site. In that case there is need for an SQL database and serverside language like PHP. Maybe thats something you also like to wrap your mind around? Would be cool if there is such website where other games can put achievements and match players who achieved them.

I switched from $_session to making a score table for this reason. I wrote a bit of code for the user to input their name if they achieved a high score, but didn't implement it.
stevedirt
great white shark

Postby SoulMate » Sat, 14May17 22:29

Oke, looks like that would work. A really flat database to kepp things simple, and the use of a special field to be able to flexable. Although why is the special field an integer. Do you have a file which maps each integer to an action?
SoulMate
great white shark

Postby tlaero » Sat, 14May17 22:32

Question: What is the player or developer benefit to having one html page and a large database compared to a ton of individual pages and a small code file? A few versions of AC ago, I started down this road of having a single html template and a data file that it pulled from, but I found it too limiting. Aside from a tiny bit of obfuscation making walkthroughs a little harder, I could find any real benefit to offset the limitations. That said, I'm pretty invested in the way AC works, so maybe I'm being blind to something you guys see.

I do know from making these games that page management and coding are a tiny fraction of the effort. Writing the text dwarfs anything related to page manangement, and creating the images dwarfs the text.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby stevedirt » Sun, 14May18 01:08

SoulMate wrote:Oke, looks like that would work. A really flat database to kepp things simple, and the use of a special field to be able to flexable. Although why is the special field an integer. Do you have a file which maps each integer to an action?

Exactly. So on a 'special' page it will do a score check and give a link to the next page based on the results.

stevedirt
great white shark

Postby stevedirt » Sun, 14May18 01:25

tlaero wrote:Question: What is the player or developer benefit to having one html page and a large database compared to a ton of individual pages and a small code file?

I would say I guess this is why there are multiple languages, so everyone can do it their own way. I would never say my way is better, I just found it to work well for me. There are limitations and drawbacks, but once again I just found it to be faster.

All I know is when I first started to write a game, I was changing the same 10 or so fields on a webpage .. saving it, changing those fields again .. saving it ... and so on. This is exactly why MySQL exists, have those same 10 fields populated by a database.

That's just the way I saw it.

BTW - Thanks for making 'Getting to know Christine' .. the best of these games I ever played.
stevedirt
great white shark

Postby stevedirt » Fri, 14May30 22:21

So after making the game in PHP / SQL and having a few people play it ....

Too many calls to the server. My host limits the amount of CPU time one person can use in a given hour / day. On its best day the game had 153 plays and almost maxed out my CPU time.

Was fun making the game and giving it a try .. going to look more into html5 and see if anything cool can happen there.
stevedirt
great white shark

Postby hacko » Sat, 14May31 07:06

So... I'm a web developer and mostly my job comprises using PHP/MySQL. If you'd be willing to give me a full view (no need for server access, just set me up a rar/tar/zip/etc of the project files and a .sql dump of the database), I could probably figure out a bit to make sure your architecture holds out better to enable more plays on shared hardware. It's definitely something I've done before. Usually, when you reach your CPU limit with just 153 plays, a particularly slow query that runs at least once per page-load is the culprit. Let me know with a PM if you want me to take a look at it, I have some time.
hacko
Pilot fish

Postby TeineWolf » Sun, 14Jun08 04:41

stevedirt wrote:So after making the game in PHP / SQL and having a few people play it ....

Too many calls to the server. My host limits the amount of CPU time one person can use in a given hour / day. On its best day the game had 153 plays and almost maxed out my CPU time.

Was fun making the game and giving it a try .. going to look more into html5 and see if anything cool can happen there.
I've haven't seen your game, but the CPU time seems kind of odd to me.

The resources you mostly using, shouldn't be all that extensive. HTTP server, PHP server and MySql server should do most of the work. Sounds like you might be executing more SQL Queries, while parsing the same information in PHP fields. Or somehow you are spawning processes, that aren't closing properly. UNIX can be fickle, and if you open a process, and leave it open. Then repeat the process, you end up running 2 open processes. I've slowed down many a UNIX server, just by incorrectly forgetting to close a process, or spawning many in a loop.

You might want to look into WineHQ game maker. From little I've seen of it, it seems to follow the spirit of AC, but using PHP/Sql over HTML/Java. Or if you want to try and correct a game maker yourself. I might have an old Access DBase around, where I was trying to make a web sight generator, for image cataloging. The SQL Tables might be of the same structure, that might work for PHP.

I am extremely old school and old tech. I had to help debug and migrate, a real time transactional server in Sybase. While keeping it live in a legacy and transitioning forward. The sybase coding is away above my brain pan level, but debugging and band aiding on the UNIX/Shell apparently was not. I don't know PHP very well, but then I never learned sysbase scripting. So I might be able to give you a few pointers if you want to create a PHP-AC for the community.
TeineWolf
lagoon predator

PreviousNext

Return to Projects