Best Game Engine For a NEW Game

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Best Game Engine For a NEW Game

Postby velteyn » Sun, 13Jul28 14:57

Hi all,

I'm a noob and I want to start to build my own game.

After many many researches I personally think that the best engine for a game with the story like Nanny's Day could be a Sim's 2 !! That's because there would be much more freedom for the player to interact with each others and many more puzzle to solve !!

Unfortunately there is no Sim's 2 open source game engine... [img]images/icones/icon11.gif[/img] as far as I know...

So , the question is : is there a game engine free/open that is similar to Sims 2 \ 3 ?

I'm also considering Irrlicht but the work to build up a game for that would be tremendous...

What do you think
velteyn
sirens hunter

sex: Masculine

Re: Best Game Engine For a NEW Game

Postby Super » Sun, 13Jul28 17:00

You mean a game where you control their lives like Sims? That would be near impossible for any hobbyist, let alone a newbie.

The easiest engine would probably be tlaero's adventure creator, but that would only be useful for making games like Keeley or the vdategames. And you'd still need to make the graphics yourself

If you want to make a life sim like the sims, you'd first need to learn a lot of programming.
Super
legend of the South Seas

Postby velteyn » Mon, 13Jul29 14:32

Ah , that's not a big problem for me :) I'm a professional programmer (C++, C# and java)

The problem is that I cannot build an engine all alone :)I must use one present in the market ..

I know Torque 3D from Garagegames and Neoaxis too... But Im still convinced that a sims like engine should be perfect !! But I cannot find one open ... And I think that we cannot use sims engine for a modded game....

I'll continue the research.
velteyn
sirens hunter

Postby prayForPlague » Mon, 13Jul29 17:10

I suggest you look into Unity3d. Not only is it capable of creating a game with the sims quality, it allows you to code in C# if that is what you are familiar with. There are a lot of benefits to it, including that you can export to mac/linux/pc and mobile with the free version. Sorry if it sounds like I work for them, but I am really a fan of Unity. [img]images/icones/icon14.gif[/img]
prayForPlague
great white shark

Postby kaliyo » Mon, 13Jul29 23:25

I personally suggest the Cryengine 3
kaliyo
sirens hunter

Postby tlaero » Tue, 13Jul30 03:51

What kind of game are we talking about? CryEngine is fantastic for a AAA shooter, but insane overkill for a dating sim. Etc. We can't really make useful suggestions on the best engine without knowing more about the capabilities of the game you want to write. Shark and Leonizer use Flash. I use HTML and JavaScript. ArianeB uses Renpy. GoblinBoy uses TADS. Most of us use Daz3D/Poser for our graphics, but the licensing is different if you're making 2D images than 3D games. You have to pay to use Victoria in a 3D game, but 2D is free, etc.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby TheBrain » Wed, 13Jul31 23:07

To my knowledge there's no engine that's ready-made to do sims 2-like gameplay.
And let's be honest here: Creating a sims 2-like game engine (on top of normal game engine) is too ambitious for a one-man project. And that's the programming/testing side of it alone, you'd also need to model and animate characters/objects/locations/etc. Which would make it even more overambitious.

Now there is one suggestion I have, if you want to stick to this kind of gameplay: create it as a mod for The Sims 2/3 (as far as I know TS3 supports C# scripting, not sure what TS2 offers). That way you could focus entirely on your story (although there's probably some challenges like getting the right people in the right place at the right time, if it is actually possible to do stuff like that). Depending on what your ambitions are you may need to do some animation, though there is some sexual stuff available in mods.
I think that's your best bet if you want that kind of gameplay.

The alternative is to lower your ambitions, especially if this is your first project: start smaller! Consider that shark takes at least 4 months to create a game, and that's with all the experience he already has. On top of that, the scenes in shark's games are fairly static. What you're proposing is a lot more dynamic, and consequently it's a lot more work and a lot harder to test.
To make anything in 3D look good is a tough job (you might be able to make some headway with something like exporting DAZ models to Unity, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... LhTbSJecyI , though I have no idea what the licensing situation is like for stuff like that).

All in all I think one-man projects are most likely to succeed if it's kept small. Even creating a simple HTML dating game with static graphics from DAZ (for example) will take a ridiculous amount of time to create...
TheBrain
star of the reef

Postby Greebo » Thu, 13Aug01 01:12

I'm well out of my depth here, but I was wondering whether Gary's Mod offered any possibilities. Maybe someone like Rastifan or Gandalf could advise as to what facilities are available for it -- after all it does seem to be associated with some pretty good modelling, as well as complex RPGs
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby velteyn » Wed, 13Aug07 14:24

Thank you for all the suggestions !! Im considering Unity and try to keep the build pipeline really low.... I'll start to do a little interaction with characters and see what happens.. Anyone wants to embark with me ?
velteyn
sirens hunter

Postby Greebo » Wed, 13Aug07 15:56

I see Leadwerks 3 has got Kickstarter funding to port it to Linux and reckon to have it available for sale by December. Supposedly that can do stuff Unity can do at lower cost
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby prayForPlague » Wed, 13Aug07 18:26

I hadn't heard about Leadwerks 3, I'll have to keep an eye on that. With C++ I guess it would be a better performer than Unity (since Unity code has to jump from managed to unmanaged with C#,Javascript,Boo). Assuming Leadwerks offers a free version like Unity does, it might give Unity a run for their money. Unity does have a very strong community behind it though, speaking of which velteyn, if you get stuck with something in Unity I can offer a hand, or at least point you to helpful information.
prayForPlague
great white shark

Postby velteyn » Sat, 13Aug10 13:28

if you get stuck with something in Unity I can offer a hand, or at least point you to helpful information.

Tkz :roi: I'll call you for sure !!
velteyn
sirens hunter

Postby velteyn » Fri, 13Sep20 13:51

Umm I found another really interesting engine: FIFE Engine !! I'm considering it because its a 2D engine !!
Maybe It 'll meet the requirements about the models usage restrictions you told me :)

http://www.fifengine.net/media.html
velteyn
sirens hunter

Postby lee1400 » Fri, 14Nov28 21:21

Help me !!!
I want to create a game like, "living with temptation." What program to use to create and edit HTML files?
lee1400
great white shark

Postby Super » Fri, 14Nov28 22:43

lee1400 wrote:Help me !!!
I want to create a game like, "living with temptation." What program to use to create and edit HTML files?

Hm... the easiest method to make a story based game would be Adventure Creator, which tlaero and phreaky used to make the Keeley games and Christine and me and Sy used to make Inspiring celina, if you've heard of them.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2076

or maybe WBA, which I am using to make Envying Celina:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3217

Adventure Creator has a few tutorials.

However, it can't be used to make something like the Lesson of Passion games. That would require some more programming (although Adventure Creator and WBA still require some basic programming to check variables and stuff). Can't help you if you want to make something more like a Lesson of Passion game.

And, of course, you'd need to make the images yourself, although both programs easily allow you to import both images and gifs.
Super
legend of the South Seas

Next

Return to Projects