Looking for people to playtest

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Looking for people to playtest

Postby lamont Sanford » Thu, 12Jan26 05:35

I am in the finishing stages of my first (and most likely last) game. The name of the game is Peril in Pleasantville, and I made it using inform 7. I am looking for a few people who may be interested in playtesting. If you are interested please let me know.

Thank You.
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Re: Looking for people to playtest

Postby fleet » Thu, 12Jan26 18:39

More information might be useful to make an informed decision.
What are the system requirements for inform 7 (what OS does it run on, what hardware does it need)?
Do I need to download Inform 7 in order to play the game?
What's the story about?
How long does it take to play it?
What is the file size of the download?
Do you have any screen shots?

Best regards,
fleet
Check out my latest adult visual novel "After She Left"
at http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4363
I moderate at http://undertow.club
fleet
Great Master of corals

sex: Masculine

Postby lamont Sanford » Thu, 12Jan26 20:05

fleet wrote:More information might be useful to make an informed decision.
What are the system requirements for inform 7 (what OS does it run on, what hardware does it need)?
Do I need to download Inform 7 in order to play the game?
What's the story about?
How long does it take to play it?
What is the file size of the download?
Do you have any screen shots?

Best regards,
fleet

fair enough. I would think any windows system should have little problem playing the game ( I cant really be sure about mac). To play the game you will need to be able to play a gblorb file, I use Windows Glulxe which can be downloaded here http://mirror.ifarchive.org/if-archive/programming/glulx/interpreters/glulxe/WinGlulxeInstaller.exe .The download will be aprox 225 mb for the games gblorb file as there are great many pictures. You do not need to download inform in order to play it, that was only used in it's creation. As for what the story is about, you play a male highschool student in the town of pleasantville. Like most guys of that age your guided by your loins more so than your brain, there is some strangeness afoot in the town though for which you will need to play the game to find out. After this post last night I discovered some bugs that I want to hammer out, (which I will start doing momentarily) after that I will do some screenshots as a teaser.

Thank You.
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Postby Greebo » Thu, 12Jan26 21:56

Thanks for the mention of Inform 7. A little research shows that the Inform 7 integrated development environment (IDE) is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows and Linux, and there are interpreters for all three platforms.
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby rabbie » Fri, 12Jan27 07:56

Inform 7 is a text game creator, like tads or adrift.

I dont think i would be much good as a tester but i do look forward to playing your game. Your best bet is to go to the aifarchive yahoo group or aifgames.com for this one [img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img]
rabbie
lagoon predator

Postby EroHumanbiom » Fri, 12Jan27 18:54

Very well.
Красота пасет мир :)
EroHumanbiom
Pilot fish

sex: Female

Postby lamont Sanford » Fri, 12Jan27 18:57

still working my way through this slew of bugs...yay fun :p
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Postby ExLibris » Sat, 12Jan28 08:35

I'd be happy to do proof-reading and spell-checking, along with some beta testing.

Asking for testers on the aifarchive Yahoo group is definitely a good idea. There is also a list of beta testers at the Inside Erin website, but I've no idea how up to date that is.
ExLibris
legend of the South Seas

Postby ExLibris » Sat, 12Jan28 08:55

Greebo wrote:Thanks for the mention of Inform 7. A little research shows that the Inform 7 integrated development environment (IDE) is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows and Linux, and there are interpreters for all three platforms.

(Taken from my AIF FAQ)
Inform is one of the oldest (or most mature, if you prefer) authoring systems. Inform 7 went into open beta in 2006, succeeding Inform 6 (although Inform 7 games are still compiled into Inform 6 code). It's the most popular authoring system in the mainstream interactive fiction community, and there are also a few gurus at the aifarchive Yahoo group.
Inform 7's major selling point is that it uses natural language (or something close to it) rather than code for programming. That means that Inform 7 source code is much less intimidating for non-programmers. Another point to consider if you're not using Windows, is that Inform 7 has fully functional Mac and Linux versions.
http://inform7.com/
ExLibris
legend of the South Seas

Postby lamont Sanford » Sat, 12Jan28 19:12

ExLibris wrote:I'd be happy to do proof-reading and spell-checking, along with some beta testing.

Asking for testers on the aifarchive Yahoo group is definitely a good idea. There is also a list of beta testers at the Inside Erin website, but I've no idea how up to date that is.

Awesome , I will private message you within a few days a link. I just want to finish up on these bugs. I am a novice to this whole things so I dont really know how many testers are generally used (I'm thinking 3 should be plenty). I will take the advice given and try on the yahoo group as well.

Thanks alot.
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Postby ExLibris » Sat, 12Jan28 21:40

I suspect you should get as many testers as you can, and allow at least a couple of weeks for testing.
ExLibris
legend of the South Seas

Postby lasticot » Sat, 12Jan28 23:14

I'm interested to be a beta player ;)
lasticot
great white shark

Postby lamont Sanford » Mon, 12Jan30 06:41

A rather annoying update. As I got further and further along in my game more and more glitches with the inform compiler started popping up, I was able to fight through them. I got to the point where (after like 2 years) the game was nearing completion..the game is huge(were talking almost 2 thousand pictures) At this point the game and the inform compiler were mortal enemies and I started speaking with people affiliated with it's design and the bug is submitted and hopefully will be fixed in an upcoming release. I had to make a second copy of the game with no pictures to be able to add code and test things because the game with pictures would not compile just crash. even so I was able to squeeze out a glorb file before it would crash. Now within the time I created this thread I have hit a wall in where I cannot add any more code at all or compile. I have contacted people and await a response, so hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel. With that said for the time being I am gonna suspend testing until this gets worked out. Hopefully soon things will be good to go and I will contact the people in this thread whom showed interest in testing. Man it is so frustrating to be so close now to done and have these setbacks. I will keep up with this thread and if any news happens I will pass it along. My advice to anyone writing a game using inform is...dont go crazy with the picture files lol.

edited this to add a link to the bug report so you can keep up with the progress/or lack of.
http://inform7.com/mantis/view.php?id=826
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Postby rabbie » Mon, 12Jan30 12:16

2000 pictures? Thats an insane amount [img]images/icones/icon15.gif[/img] What kind of pictures are they? Real ones or Daz 3d/poser like stuff?
rabbie
lagoon predator

Postby fleet » Mon, 12Jan30 17:07

In what format did you save the pictures before importing into your game? If you save them in jpg format, the file size will be smaller than if you saved them in bmp or png format. ;)
Check out my latest adult visual novel "After She Left"
at http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4363
I moderate at http://undertow.club
fleet
Great Master of corals

Next

Return to Projects