My Christmas gift

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

My Christmas gift

Postby shark » Fri, 11Dec23 21:09

I received my Christmas gift : a nice androïd smartphone... Of course, my first thought was " how to adapt games to the phones screens? ".
Here is a new challenge, I do not know anything about smartphones and Androïd... But I know that to learn, best is to test.
So, I sought an old game which could be transformed and I made a remake of " Don' t wake her" by creating images wich are adapted to my phone screen size.
I tested it on my phone only (a samsung galaxy s2) but I would be very interested of knowing if it works on other smartphones. Then, if you have an access to the Web and a touchscreen on your phone, enter this address

http://www.sharks-lagoon.fr/phones/sgf.html
(Maybe you will have to refresh the page after the loading for adapting the game to your phone screen)

and say me how the game appears and if it is playable.
Your comments will help me to progress and maybe, a day, there will be a special smartphones page on the lagoon.

For those who have not smartphone, you can find the game on this page .
http://www.sharks-lagoon.fr/phones/sgf_pc.html

Thank you for your assistance.
:johan:
shark
Site Admin

sex: Masculine

Re: My Christmas gift

Postby tlaero » Sat, 11Dec24 01:38

Hey Shark, your present came early. (-:

I don't have an Android phone, but from what I can tell, the game works and you've done a nice job formatting it. The challenge you face is that you're using Flash, and Android is the only smartphone OS I'm aware of that supports Flash. Worse, not all Android phones support it and, in the likely future, none of them will. Adobe (the maker of Flash) has stopped producing the mobile version. Without Adobe fixing security flaws, etc, I think you'll eventually get to the point where having mobile Flash on the phone is more damaging than not having it and the Android phone manufacturers will stop including it.

People seem to think the replacement for Flash is HTML5 and Javascript, but that's much more programming heavy than Flash is. I'm not sure how well the transition will go. On the plus side, all the major smartphones either support HTML5 or will likely die before Flash does. So if you transition there, you'll see future support.

When you do your games, what format are the images in? I know you're starting in 3D, but are you converting down to 2D (jpg, png, gif, etc) or is Flash rendering the 3D? I wonder if I should work with the Flash users here in the lagoon to help you transition over to HTML5. That is, if you're interested, of course. Flash isn't going to die overnight. You've got plenty of time. But it would be cool if people could play your games on an iPhone or iPad, etc.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby woody » Sat, 11Dec24 06:57

only a few days ago i was playing through your older games, i thought to myself will we ever see new versions of these great games {no I'm not asking for newer versions its just an observation} don't wake her was alway a favourite ,thnx for sharing with us shark [img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img]
woody
lagoon predator

Postby shark » Sat, 11Dec24 08:27

Thank you Tlaero for these precisions. I know that Adobe and Mac fight since years in connection with the integration of the flash player and that Adobe is losing. But it integrated HTML5 in last Flash programs and proposes a flash towards html5 converter.
I use Flash to learn about phone games but I know that I will have to use html5 and javascript soon.
shark
Site Admin

Postby tlaero » Sat, 11Dec24 18:30

I wonder if I could turn AdventureCreator into something that would work for your games. If you want to PM me a few of the images and animations, I could see what I can do.

Of course, a Flash->HTML5 converter would be even better. I don't know anything about Flash, so couldn't help there, but if Adobe is working on it, that's cool.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Greebo » Sat, 11Dec24 19:59

Adobe Wallaby can convert FLA files to HTML5, although some features of Flash Professional aren't covered, and Google Swiffy is a beta at the moment I believe, and is intended to convert SWF files to HTML5. I suspect Swiffy has more issues with the more advanced features available in Flash than Wallaby at the moment. The Swiffy approach appears to have Adobe's blessing for now.
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby shark » Sat, 11Dec24 22:54

tlaero wrote:I wonder if I could turn AdventureCreator into something that would work for your games. If you want to PM me a few of the images and animations, I could see what I can do.

I don't think that the problem will be for images or animations. There are approximately 800 to 1000 images for a game but all are png files . The true problem will be to rewrite the actionscript functions which allows the various movements (clicks and moves, double clicks, etc...). Some of these functions are working with the direction and the speed of the mouse and they are not very simple.
shark
Site Admin

Postby shark » Sat, 11Dec24 23:02

Greebo wrote:Adobe Wallaby can convert FLA files to HTML5, although some features of Flash Professional aren't covered, and Google Swiffy is a beta at the moment I believe, and is intended to convert SWF files to HTML5. I suspect Swiffy has more issues with the more advanced features available in Flash than Wallaby at the moment. The Swiffy approach appears to have Adobe's blessing for now.

Currently Wallaby doesn't convert the actionscript codes, but I think that when the true Flash transition towards html5 will be made ( final html5 is not envisaged before 2014) Adobe softwares will be evolved.
shark
Site Admin

Postby badboll » Sat, 11Dec24 23:15

I'm not so sure about this game.
It's either broken or really sensitive.
Playing the computer version (The other one didn't work on my smart phone however I tried. Think I have one of those that doesn't support flash.)

Since no one else has actually commented on the actual game I'll go first.
I've probably clicked every part of the screen tried everything and anything.
Whatever I do, the thing I drag(more or less just click it)
Moves all the way and she wakes up.

Doesn't look like it's functioning as it should. I've never had any issues with any of your past games. Loved all of them. Hence no posts as I've been able to figure them out quite quickly.

This one though is just annoying. Feel free to correct me but I seriously cannot find a way to do anything on this mini game.

Marry Christmas & Thanks :)
badboll
sirens hunter

Postby Greebo » Sat, 11Dec24 23:27

I got a little way with it, but you do need an extremely delicate control over movement. I found this true of the standard game but it's doubly true of this version.

Hint:
By the way, as with many of the earlier games, judicious use of the Tab key will show the "hot" areas! -- but only if the device has a tab key, of course!
Last edited by Greebo on Sat, 11Dec24 23:40, edited 2 times in total.
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby tlaero » Sat, 11Dec24 23:34

shark wrote:I don't think that the problem will be for images or animations. There are approximately 800 to 1000 images for a game but all are png files . The true problem will be to rewrite the actionscript functions which allows the various movements (clicks and moves, double clicks, etc...). Some of these functions are working with the direction and the speed of the mouse and they are not very simple.

I'm actually working on adding mouse control of animations in AdventureCreator for my own games right now. Could you post the text of a typical actionscript routine from one of your games? I'd like to see how its done. I'm always trying to find the right balance between ability and non-programmer aproachability with AdventureCreator.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby badboll » Sat, 11Dec24 23:37

Greebo wrote:I got a little way with it, but you do need an extremely delicate control over movement. I found this true of the standard game but it's doubly true of this version.
By the way, as with many of the earlier games, judicious use of the Tab key will show the "hot" areas!

I just played through the Standard game with ease, thought perhaps that I could pick up a tip or so.
Never used that key before, didn't know you could. Not that it worked for this one though.
badboll
sirens hunter

Postby shark » Sun, 11Dec25 01:30

tlaero wrote:I'm actually working on adding mouse control of animations in AdventureCreator for my own games right now. Could you post the text of a typical actionscript routine from one of your games? I'd like to see how its done. I'm always trying to find the right balance between ability and non-programmer aproachability with AdventureCreator.
Tlaero

Here my own actionscript code for mouse control:

//on the first frame, I note the position of the mouse
_root.x1=_xmouse;
_root.y1=_ymouse;
//on the second frame, I note the new position of the mouse
_root.x2=_xmouse;
_root.y2=_ymouse;
//calculation of the direction of the mouse displacement (var = "sens").
if (_root.y2-_root.y1<0 and _root.x2-_root.x1<0) {
_root.sens=1;
} else if (_root.y2-_root.y1<0 and _root.x2-_root.x1==0) {
_root.sens=2;
} else if (_root.y2-_root.y1<0 and _root.x2-_root.x1>0) {
_root.sens=3;
} else if (_root.y2-_root.y1==0 and _root.x2-_root.x1<0) {
_root.sens=4;
} else if (_root.y2-_root.y1==0 and _root.x2-_root.x1>0) {
_root.sens=6;
} else if (_root.y2-_root.y1>0 and _root.x2-_root.x1<0) {
_root.sens=7;
} else if (_root.y2-_root.y1>0 and _root.x2-_root.x1==0) {
_root.sens=8;
} else if (_root.y2-_root.y1>0 and _root.x2-_root.x1>0) {
_root.sens=9;
}
//calculation of Mouse speed (using theorem of Pythagore, var = "speed")
_root.absxxx=(_root.x2-_root.x1)*(_root.x2-_root.x1)
_root.ordyyy=(_root.y2-_root.y1)*(_root.y2-_root.y1)
_root.result=_root.absxxx + _root.ordyyy
_root.speed=Math.pow(_root.result,.5)
// back to 0 before return to the first frame
_root.x1=0;
_root.x2=0;
_root.y1=0;
_root.y2=0;
shark
Site Admin

Postby shark » Sun, 11Dec25 01:37

Greebo wrote:I got a little way with it, but you do need an extremely delicate control over movement.

Right. maybe I must reduce the sensitivity.
shark
Site Admin

Postby tlaero » Sun, 11Dec25 06:50

Oh, Shark, if you're writing code as in depth as that, then you'll have no trouble with Javascript. It's very similar, and you obviously know what you're doing.

By the way, here's a different way to calculate your sens variable. The math is a bit more complicated, but the code is simpler.

_root.xOffset = 0;
_root.yOffset = 0;

if (_root.y2-_root.y1<0) {
_root.yOffset = -3;
} else if (_root.y2-_root.y1>0) {
_root.yOffset = 3;
}

if (_root.x2-_root.x1<0) {
_root.xOffset = -1;
} else if (_root.x2-_root.x1>0) {
_root.xOffset = 1;
}