dartmoth manor questions

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Re: dartmoth manor questions

Postby lydia » Mon, 10Apr05 05:48

Not sure where to put this. I'm working on an update for my manor game but have a few story line questions to get player impressions on before I continue. I've requested players who are interested in providing their impressions in my lydia's rags games thread but wasn't sure if people would be looking here for this kind of request.

So anyone who is interested, please contact me. I'd imagine that it would probably be best if your impressions are based on how you see the game progressing from what was in the demo of manor. Not really sure where things stand on posting demos of games. I'd prefer to keep the game and related comments in their own thread, but not looking to break the rules of the board either.

Thanks in advance.
lydia
great white shark

Postby Arnulf » Mon, 10Apr05 11:21

If some matter is too sensible or problematic for being discussed openly in the forum, why do you not use the PMs??
Arnulf
Master of the skies and the waves

Postby moonkee » Mon, 10Apr05 22:04

I would be interested in helping in anyway I can...

by the way, great to have you with us, have always loved your work on other sites and it's a pleasure to have you in a more one on one environment!
moonkee
great white shark

Postby lydia » Tue, 10Apr06 03:39

Arnulf wrote : If some matter is too sensible or problematic for being discussed openly in the forum, why do you not use the PMs??

The impression of the setup here that I have is you ask members if they would have interest in a particular project. If they have interest, than you can work by pm with interested party. Until I know who is interested, I don't know who to send the pm to. I've already heard one view that anything posted less than a final version just shouldn't be allowed. Just trying to stay within the rules, so error on the side of caution when I'm not sure.
lydia
great white shark

Postby lydia » Tue, 10Apr06 03:43

moonkee wrote : I would be interested in helping in anyway I can...

by the way, great to have you with us, have always loved your work on other sites and it's a pleasure to have you in a more one on one environment!

Thanks on both counts! Hard to be the new girl on the block sometimes. Kind of in between my demo and an update. Pm on it's way then.
lydia
great white shark

Postby Henrik » Tue, 10Apr06 05:02

I think you (and any author) should feel fairly confident of posting any works in progress here to solicit feedback and beta testing. As long as everything is properly tagged as Work In Progress (WIP) and/or designated by version numbers.

Yes, I've seen posts from people who don't want feature incomplete and games-in-progress posted here. I think they're in the minority; some of them strike me as the kind of persons who, if you gave them a $100 bill, would bitch about it being green and wrinkled.

Oh, and I'd be interested in helping any way I can with anyone's game. I'm terrible about knowing what's possible to code or not, but I write and edit ad copy for a living, so I can at least help with grammar/spelling/etc. issues. ;)
Henrik
great white shark

Postby lydia » Wed, 10Apr07 06:29

Thanks for the post henrik. Just like life, you're never going to be able to please everyone. For me anyway, getting a good suggestion after a game is completed leaves a game writer in a position to do what with it exactly? Revise the completed game, which most likely would involve a ton of coding? Or keep it in mind for a future game that most likely won't be all that much like the game it was suggested for and thus not as good of a fit?

I'm use to a forum format where a game has its' own thread from demo to completion to keep everything together. That would be my preference, but the setup here appears to be the game is in the project section until completion? I realize the interest in letting players know what status a game is in, but that can easily be done with naming the game file demo002 manor game for example. Just a thought.

It will probably work best if I wait to have another demo available for player impressions. This will allow for more illustration of the points I was asking questions about. Once I have a demo prepared, I'll ask about feedback again. If you have some time when this occurs, I'd be glad for your impressions. These can be grammer, spelling, bugs, questions, suggestions, etc. Thanks for the offer of assistance.
lydia
great white shark

Postby lydia » Sun, 10Jun06 05:44

I'm planning on having a version ready for testing to start June 12 and have comments/suggestions by June 19. So if you have some free time during that week, enjoy bug testing, and are expresssive in stating what you like/dislike in games as well as discussing impressions/suggestions, please send me a pm for a link. I'm only looking for a handful of testors in an effort to avoid making a number of updates yet still allow for player input while in a demo state.

Henrik, if you have some free time that week, I've reserved a spot for you. Moonkee, I'd be interested in your thoughts as well if you happen to get a chance.
lydia
great white shark

Postby Son-of-Odin » Sun, 10Jun06 08:33

lydia wrote: I'm planning on having a version ready for testing to start June 12 and have comments/suggestions by June 19. So if you have some free time during that week, enjoy bug testing, and are expresssive in stating what you like/dislike in games as well as discussing impressions/suggestions, please send me a pm for a link. I'm only looking for a handful of testors in an effort to avoid making a number of updates yet still allow for player input while in a demo state.

It´s very good to hear that you´ll keep your work on this fantastic game. My english and grammer is not the best, but if you want I´ll be glad to help you and if I get some free time besides my work this week, I´ll send you my suggestions for possible next chapters.
Even if you do not need/want my assistance I´ll hope, you´ll keep on your good good work.
Son-of-Odin
star of the reef

Postby lydia » Sun, 10Jun06 22:51

Son-of-Odin wrote : It´s very good to hear that you´ll keep your work on this fantastic game. My english and grammer is not the best, but if you want I´ll be glad to help you and if I get some free time besides my work this week, I´ll send you my suggestions for possible next chapters.
Even if you do not need/want my assistance I´ll hope, you´ll keep on your good good work.

Thanks for the support. Life has been sending some curves my way so spare time projects have been the thing that has had to give.

I am interested in your impressions and your perspective from making your own game. If you can let me know when it get's closer to next weekend if your schedule will allow some free time for testing. If so, I'll send you the link. If not, maybe our timing will match on a future update.
lydia
great white shark

Postby Henrik » Mon, 10Jun07 10:10

i should definitely have the time that week to give a new version at least a couple of play-throughs, and would be happy to share my thoughts afterwards!
Henrik
great white shark

Postby petuchi10 » Wed, 10Jun09 10:37

I'd love to be a beta-tester if you'll have me. I've done some beta-testing before for GoD (Games of Desire, an adult-themed gamer website like the Lagoon), so I think I'd like to try my hand at this. Thanks.

P.S. You mentioned your RAG's game file. Will this game also be a RAG game? If that be the case, then I can dowload RAG onto my sytem without a problem. Thanks again.
petuchi10
great white shark

Postby machamp623 » Wed, 10Jun09 20:59

I also have plenty of time to play through your game.
Im pretty good at finting bugs too!
haha
machamp623
lagoon predator

Postby lydia » Thu, 10Jun10 03:27

Henrik wrote : i should definitely have the time that week to give a new version at least a couple of play-throughs, and would be happy to share my thoughts afterwards!

I'm glad that the timing works for you. It's still a demo, but with a good bit of content and I plan to have a couple of endings available for players to try for. I hope you'll enjoy the game and I look forward to your impressions.
lydia
great white shark

Postby lydia » Thu, 10Jun10 03:40

petuchi10 wrote : I'd love to be a beta-tester if you'll have me. I've done some beta-testing before for GoD (Games of Desire, an adult-themed gamer website like the Lagoon), so I think I'd like to try my hand at this. Thanks.

P.S. You mentioned your RAG's game file. Will this game also be a RAG game? If that be the case, then I can dowload RAG onto my sytem without a problem. Thanks again.

Thanks for your interest in testing. What I'm looking for is
1.players for bug testing who will provide details regarding room, character(s), objects, and actions involved in a game bug.

2. players who are interested in discussing why they like/dislike a number of aspects regarding the game from characters, story, game layout, dialogue, photos, etc.

Also keep in mind that this is still a fairly eaarly demo despite having a good deal of content. So important pieces are missing still from the game. I have tried to foreshadow what will happen in the game. Plus, I will be sending some notes in the file link in regards to limitations on rooms and actions to save players time.

If this sounds interesting to you, I'd be glad to add you to the testing team. I am hoping to complete the testing in a one week period starting with this friday and run through the following saturday if that works for you. Let me know if you'd still like the link.

Yes, this is a rags game. Sorry for not mentioning that. I use the 0.0.9.2 version that plays fine on any of the newer rags players.
lydia
great white shark

Next

Return to Projects