Virtual date with Jess - Demo

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Re: Virtual date with Jess - Demo

Postby Chaotic » Wed, 10Oct13 00:18

Hi everyone.

I've put together a mini sort of test game and would like to get some feedback on it from everyone who's willing to play.

http://vdategames.com/vdj.html

Basically, I've been playing with tlaero's tool to improve my game making skills and this demo is a result. I didn't actually use the tool to create it however, as I wanted to learn how to do things myself (I may be changing certain parts of the interface etc for the next game). Therefore, I specifically want to know if anyone has trouble, maybe with variables not being recognised etc.

Thanks in advance.
Chaotic
great white shark

Postby davidhoff66 » Wed, 10Oct13 01:27

It is working pretty good, the figure of Jess is really nice

Not too bad guy!

Thank you

Dav
davidhoff66
Pilot fish

Postby firefist » Wed, 10Oct13 03:05

Very nice! Was there supposed to be a difference in game play compared to the other games? Because i didn't notice a difference, and can we have a Jess game?!
firefist
sirens hunter

Postby PapaSmurf » Wed, 10Oct13 04:54

cant say much bro it was way to short
PapaSmurf
lagoon predator

Postby Squeeky » Wed, 10Oct13 05:37

Realising that this was just a Demo, and to get a feel for what Tlaero was offering, I accept what you have tried.

Initially I was stunned that the background seemed to be familiar, but yes, I understand.

Ok. What was required? You had two variables that needed to be fulfilled (I seemed to be able to 'kiss' her forever and also ply her with 'drink'). You had no counter to suggest "we've done that/been there".

Having changed the two variable values "endcard.html" was available.

If, from what I experienced with working through this, you ae able to successfully modify tlaero's work to your needs, and I hope this demo has demonstrated to you, then I think she would be appreciative as will many others in future presentations by you.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

sex: Masculine

Postby dcyberjf » Wed, 10Oct13 07:01

nice, but too short !!! Image
dcyberjf
great white shark

Postby Squeeky » Wed, 10Oct13 09:01

Chaotic,
I realise that you've placed this within this thread assuming to get more traffic whereas "Projects" would be more in keeping.

It seems to me that some of the respondents have not been aware that this presentation is NOT a game but a means to test some thoughts based upon tlareo's project re building Html Games.
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Blackduck » Wed, 10Oct13 09:43

Everything plays through well Chaotic. I am confident that you will be able to incorporate your game designs with the help of tlareo's creator.
Blackduck
sirens hunter

Postby tlaero » Wed, 10Oct13 10:47

Looking good, Chaotic.

I suggest you put the .style1 and .style2 definitions in _style.css. That way if you choose to change the color or text size, you only need to change it in one place rather than editing each file again.

You can just put your .style lines in _style.css and refer to them the say way you're already doing it.

In my opinion, the less you put in each file, the better off you are.

Regarding the comment in _functions.js. When any page is loaded, it calls the disallowNav() function (check out the "onLoad" in the body). disallowNav is where you do the various things to keep the user from backing up, etc.

Happy to talk about this as much as you'd like. You may want to have Squeeky move this thread to projects, though.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby tlaero » Wed, 10Oct13 10:49

By the way, I can also help you combine the two bedroom checks into a single file if you'd like. Though there's nothing wrong with the way you have it.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby lucky loser » Wed, 10Oct13 22:03

Worked fine for me!
lucky loser
star of the reef

Postby Thrain » Thu, 10Oct14 16:56

First, your files have less junk than before. That it a good point.

Your variables work fine. I will just suggest to have only one file to check one room.

I mean only file bedcheck which do all check and activate the right file instead of several file, one for each single variable check. That will be more easier to figure all ways/situations.

There is a balance to find between too much file and only one file with too much check.

Opps tlaro already point on that
Thrain
great white shark

Postby Squeeky » Fri, 10Oct15 02:13

Prior to moving this from "Sexy Games" I did PM Chaotic.
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Chaotic » Fri, 10Oct15 17:34

Thanks for everyone's feedback on this. Hopefully it'll mean smoother gameplay for all my future releases.
Chaotic
great white shark

Postby Norse Graphics » Sat, 10Oct16 08:15

Ok, this is going to be a review of the game-structure than the game itself. I'm quite interested in how you do things. :)

This is from the downloaded file. What's the difference, if any, is there between the downloaded file and the online file? Do you put the link between the () after onClick? And what do you set the target as instead of "_self"?

Wait a second, I seem to have skipped a line...

window.open("game/helloworld.html","datinggame",'width=1005,height=700,left=0,top=0,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=no');

This is where you get the link to start the game! And target="_self" means the link is contained within this html-file (it's obvious that I'm learning...).

helloworld.html is the setting of the variables.

setVar("kiss", 0); - numbers of kiss at beginning
setVar("drink", 0); - numbers of drinks at beginning

Then open the next window through this command:

window.location = "entry.html";

Then entry is pretty straightforward.

Then comes the hall.html and:

The img src imports the hall.jpg from the images-folder. Then the usemap="#Map" command sets the stage for the follwoing commands:

So, I guess this is the basics of how to create a game, so I'll stop quoting code from the downloaded files. Did you use the Adventure Creator for the map coordinates thing, and did this include the code, or did you fixed this yourself?

Al in all a pretty good demonstration!!
Norse Graphics
great white shark

Return to Projects