An Article for "Inside Erin, the AIF Newsletter"

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Re: An Article for "Inside Erin, the AIF Newsletter"

Postby Yamato » Mon, 10Dec27 04:53

Hi Lagooners :-)

I'm going to write an article for "Inside Erin, the AIF Newsletter", on AIF versus "flash" and "web-based" games.

I was thinking on firstly comparing the old style 2D "cartoon like" games to better the better games out there like the ones here in the lagoon (Cloé)....and also the webbased games like VDG, and the King of the King, Pussoy games. Am I missing something? If anyone has a link to the more technical explanations of thoses games it would be appreciated.... (or any of your input or feedback).....

I'm writng an article on how they compare and do they spell doom for AIF or does AIF need to evolve like it has in Meteor and School dreams?
Kronn

Think Dirty Thoughts....
Yamato
star of the reef

Postby ExLibris » Mon, 10Dec27 05:18

I hate to burst your bubble, but Inside Erin went on hiatus in July 2010 and probably won't start appearing again until July 2011 at the earliest. Don't let that stop you from writing something though. You could always post it here or on the aifarchive Yahoo group.

I have to say though, that I don't agree with your thesis. I don't see any reason why AIF and Flash games can't co-exist, and I don't think that Flash games are in any way eroding the audience for AIF (which is smaller in any case) since a lot of people happily play both.

The major problem the AIF community has at the moment is the small number of active authors, and it's hard to see Flash games being the cause of that.
ExLibris
legend of the South Seas

sex: Female

Postby Yamato » Mon, 10Dec27 06:21

There will be an issue ETA January :-)
You're right, the point of the article is not to state that flash or web based games are better or worst than AIF but to compare the styles and strengths and weaknesses (and to point out that successful AIF's LATELY are ones with 3d rendering.... (also you're point about not enough authors and materials is valid).

So sounds like you might have a couple of ideas/information to throw at me :-)
Kronn

Think Dirty Thoughts....
Yamato
star of the reef

Postby ExLibris » Mon, 10Dec27 07:03

There will be an issue ETA January

What's your source for that? I hadn't seen anything on aifarchive, and there's nothing at aifgames.com or the Inside Erin website.

and to point out that successful AIF's LATELY are ones with 3d rendering

I both agree and disagree with that. I disagree with the implication that 3D graphics are the sole or main reason for the success of SD3 or Meteor (although it certainly helped get those games a wider audience than AIF normally does). But even without graphics they would have been very successful games. I'd add the caveat that you're talking about a very small sample size here. There have been a grand total of six full-size AIF games released in the last five years, four of which were by Goblinboy.

I also think you're making something of an apples to oranges comparison. AIF is primarily text-based, while Flash games are primarily graphical. They both come under the overall heading of adult games, but they approach that genre from different directions.
ExLibris
legend of the South Seas

Postby Yamato » Mon, 10Dec27 07:12

The source is "me."
If I'm telling you I'm contributing one or more articles for the next issue in Jan.... then it must mean PD and the gang and (myself)are releasing one [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img] [img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img] :-)

Yes I am comparing apples to oranges but don't you also think it's not a valid topic to talk about? Which is more fum immediately? which gives most lasting experience? Which has the highest replayability? Is it a generation thing? Kids are from the "video generation?" etc etc.... I'd like your thoughts [img]images/icones/icon10.gif[/img]

PS: I ABSOLUTELY agree with with Ex, the number one reason it's stagnant is due to lack of new releases and authors [img]images/icones/icon10.gif[/img]
Kronn

Think Dirty Thoughts....
Yamato
star of the reef

Postby ExLibris » Mon, 10Dec27 17:45

To be honest, I think it's almost entirely subjective. Different people are going to have different answers to all of those questions.
ExLibris
legend of the South Seas

Return to Projects