Re: (Yet another) Dating type game "Getting to Know Brenda"

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Re: (Yet another) Dating type game "Getting to Know Brenda&

Postby Squeeky » Fri, 10Jun04 07:12

Cugel I've been watching this thread but had little time to actually do anything about accessing the story/game.

Within the last 24 hours I've opened the file and gotten the second date and begun the drinks and sites tour without positive result.

Dismiss that per se. Shark in HA4 has divided the game into 4 sections. As you complete each section you are given a "password" so that if you fail your current section you do not have to replay sections which you have previously passed.

Now, having agreed to meet Brenda the next day it would be good if you gave me a "password" so that when I come back "tomorrow" I can begin from where I left off.

I did have some interesting dialogue exchanges when Brenda allowed me to play with her. I'd something out of order and be taken back to the 4 choices. I'd Stroke and then do the next best thing which wouldn't be accepted. Then I'd go back to Stroke and repeat my "error" and find acceptance to move on. Guess I was suffering some caching error.

Oh well, back to trying to sort out the second date.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

sex: Masculine

Postby tlaero » Fri, 10Jun04 12:24

Cugel, at your characterization of doing poser animations. I'm sure you have scars to show, but they're well earned. The animations look great.

I've never played with Flash before. What's the language like? Is it C based like everything else in the world, or is it something different?

As for the characterization, I'm hoping other people use your game as a positive role model. There are definitely good games in the genre, but man, so many are ... sick. Stick to your guns. There is definitely room for games that AREN'T about inscestuous rape of girls with beach ball breasts. I'm glad you (and other members of the lagoon) are bringing these higher calibur games to us.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Bonhomie » Fri, 10Jun04 16:22

Squeeky - if you get to the second date and miss items in the house, or get the visits in the wrong order, you need to click on the image of Brenda's House (to try to go back there) - if you have got it wrong it takes you back to the start of the second date.
Two places actually, depending on whether you have the two items, or not.

Cugel.
I echo tlaero's comments about your attitude to the game. The 'player' should and does respect Brenda, and should be rewarded for treating her right.
I also agree, in that I too prefer a real woman as to a silly girl.
Bonhomie
Games Master

Postby Felix » Fri, 10Jun04 16:46

Great game, great graphics (especially the moving parts).

Some points (some mentioned earlier):
text almost unreadable when opening in Firefox through the html page
in one occasion when going from living room (I think) to kitchen the previous hotpoint stayed, and pressing opened the 'Internet page' from her PC (with the scooters) but from the kitchen
when I opened her personal notebook (second date) and she catched me the next button didn't do anything, the game just halted

Some ideas
you can open a flash file in another flash file so you could make separate files per date (you can easily make it impossible to run these swf files separately)
you can import text and images (and sounds) in Flash from a nearby folder, they don't need to be embedded in the player. Your flash file then only loads something when it is needed.

Keep on expanding this game, it is very promising.
Felix Atagong
The ArianeB 7.x Walkthroughs at
http://arianeb.atagong.com
Felix
lagoon predator

Postby Cugel » Fri, 10Jun04 17:03

Tlaero, In regards to your question about Flash. It is more like Java and Java scrïpt than C. Nearly all of my real-world coding experience was with C and I never learned Java to the same level.

Flash uses a language called Actionscrïpt and originally you wrote code in various frames to manipulate where the playback "head" was on a master timeline (stage) at any given time and what state it was in (play, stop etc.). In version 3.0 they turned the whole language into a true object architecture where everything is a class derived from one or more parent classes. You still manipulate things, but they are no longer on the "stage" as such. You invoke graphics and animations at the time they are used. You write all your own event listeners, can create custom events and so on...

It has been a real struggle for me with my linear programming background to adopt this methodology but learning it was one of the main points of the whole project. Now if Apple and Adobe (Flash) would just learn to get along ;-)

tlaero wrote : Cugel, at your characterization of doing poser animations. I'm sure you have scars to show, but they're well earned. The animations look great.

I've never played with Flash before. What's the language like? Is it C based like everything else in the world, or is it something different?

As for the characterization, I'm hoping other people use your game as a positive role model. There are definitely good games in the genre, but man, so many are ... sick. Stick to your guns. There is definitely room for games that AREN'T about inscestuous rape of girls with beach ball breasts. I'm glad you (and other members of the lagoon) are bringing these higher calibur games to us.

Tlaero
Cugel
lagoon predator

Postby Rikwar » Fri, 10Jun04 17:06

The feeling's mutual @tlaero & @Bonhomie, that's one aspect of Cugel's game that I enjoyed very much 'sex with respect towards Brenda' hope to see more of this ..
The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it
Rikwar
Great Master of corals

Postby Cugel » Fri, 10Jun04 17:14

Felix, There are so many things that I do not know how to fix. The html page is the default one that Flash makes during publication. Perhaps there is something in there that could be tweaked. I'm doing bug fixes now so I'll look into those. I'd like to know about just-in-time loading and such, I thought the files had to be on a web server. I'll experiment with that. It would mean I could expand the original game instead of making a sequel. Hopefully there are some examples out there that would clue me in. Thanks.

Felix wrote : Great game, great graphics (especially the moving parts).

Some points (some mentioned earlier):
text almost unreadable when opening in Firefox through the html page
in one occasion when going from living room (I think) to kitchen the previous hotpoint stayed, and pressing opened the 'Internet page' from her PC (with the scooters) but from the kitchen
when I opened her personal notebook (second date) and she catched me the next button didn't do anything, the game just halted

Some ideas
you can open a flash file in another flash file so you could make separate files per date (you can easily make it impossible to run these swf files separately)
you can import text and images (and sounds) in Flash from a nearby folder, they don't need to be embedded in the player. Your flash file then only loads something when it is needed.

Keep on expanding this game, it is very promising.

Cugel
lagoon predator

Postby Henrik » Fri, 10Jun04 22:40

Cugel--

you've done very good work here. my humble suggestions:

The "game" sort of goes by the wayside pretty quickly on the 2nd date. just a lot of click throughs and animations once you figure ou the order to do things in. be nice if there were still player choices with consequences (as in, saying or doing the wrong thing and making brenda change her mind and end the date) later in that game.
Henrik
great white shark

Postby Squeeky » Sat, 10Jun05 07:42

Bonhomie wrote : Squeeky - if you get to the second date and miss items in the house, or get the visits in the wrong order, you need to click on the image of Brenda's House (to try to go back there) - if you have got it wrong it takes you back to the start of the second date.
Two places actually, depending on whether you have the two items, or not.

Cugel.
I echo tlaero's comments about your attitude to the game. The 'player' should and does respect Brenda, and should be rewarded for treating her right.
I also agree, in that I too prefer a real woman as to a silly girl.

Thanks for those advices, I wasn't actually asking for them. I do get the second date, I believe I have all needed from the house, but I think I just need to work out the order of visits (I've managed to get her into the bikini!)

My post was mainly a recognition that I was aware of this excellent exploratory work, that I had some issues with procedures prior to the first date which, if they were not due my caching, Cugel should be made aware.

As for the matter of "respect", I feel that is highly important as it shows both value for the other person and at the same time offers a mirror of reality.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby tlaero » Sun, 10Jun06 09:24

Thanks for the info on Flash, Cugel. I consdier Java and Java scrïpt to be C based. (-:

Some day I'll sit down and play with Flash. So many opportunities to learn new things, so little time....

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby dcyberjf » Sun, 10Jun13 11:24

truly a great game Image can't wait to see the part 3 Image
dcyberjf
great white shark

Postby Rastifan » Sat, 10Jun19 15:57

This game was graphically beautiful. All honor to the creator. Looking forward for more. I do so love to see hot mature women in games like these.
Normally it is underage looking anime girls which I am no fan of.
Rastifan
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Rikwar » Sat, 10Jun19 16:19

Rastifan wrote : This game was graphically beautiful. All honor to the creator. Looking forward for more. I do so love to see hot mature women in games like these.
Normally it is underage looking anime girls which I am no fan of.

Agree with you there about 'hot mature women ' they know what they want and how to get it plus there so damn alluring Image
The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it
Rikwar
Great Master of corals

Postby cheese101 » Sat, 10Jun19 19:05

and they have experience on their side :P
cheese101
star of the reef

Postby Rastifan » Sun, 10Jun20 12:08

Glad to see I am not alone on the view point. If I had a woman like Brenda on a date. I would have tossed my self on the bed and cried!

"For god's sake woman. Use me".
Rastifan
Spirit of the oceans

PreviousNext

Return to Projects