Unfaithful/Infidèle ? [FR][EN][DE/RU] V1.3.0.8 (26/04/2022)

Complete and totally free games (the author can request a non-obligatory financial contribution in thanks or to help him to create new game)

Re: Infidèle [FR] [EN]

Postby nerio » Wed, 15May27 16:49

Skelaturi wrote:wanna bet Nerio, his royal modesty is currently blushing with all those compliments?
I wasn't, but now I kinda am!

As a note, you should really start over with this because it causes all kinds of weird issues (for instance, you can be naked even when wearing clothes!). You also need to have it set any time you're playing. Don't forget to change it back because other RAGS games won't work if you don't. Steve (the RAGS developer) is currently moving across the US so he's not terribly responsive at the moment.
nerio
great white shark

sex: Masculine

Postby SilentKiller » Wed, 15May27 16:55

well i don't know why but

i can get all scenes except scene 7 (table teasing scene)
i even got dildo masturbation scene when you give her 1000 euro
someone tell me what should i do to get scene 7 properly
Nothing is true, everything is permitted
SilentKiller
sirens hunter

Postby Nihu » Thu, 15May28 01:27

I'm glad that the problem has been figured out ;)

nerio wrote:OK, that was the hint I needed. The issue is that the decimal separator in zigmut's computere is ',' and on those of use in the anglosphere, it's '.'

That's kinda weird. Dunno why it's affected by system language, this is definitely a problem with RAGS itself and how it stores/handles variables. The standard in programming as far as I know is ".". User input should be handled is such a way that the outcome to program is the correct version.

RAGS designer allows creating variables only with the same separator as the system which seems like odd design. It should take both ways and then always translate "," into "." or only take ".".

nerio wrote: I wonder why I was not getting the same RAGS error, too.

Yea, I was surprised that no one else was getting this error. Another bug probably.
Nihu
Pilot fish

Postby Greyelf » Thu, 15May28 02:43

Nihu wrote:The standard in programming as far as I know is "."

RAGS uses MS SQL Server to store the game's data and SQL Server can uses "Regional settings" when retrieving decimal and float values, which mean that it may not always return values with decimal points instead of commas.

If you read this post and the related bug you will see the problem.
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby nerio » Thu, 15May28 17:46

Greyelf wrote:
Nihu wrote:The standard in programming as far as I know is "."

RAGS uses MS SQL Server to store the game's data and SQL Server can uses "Regional settings" when retrieving decimal and float values, which mean that it may not always return values with decimal points instead of commas.

If you read this post and the related bug you will see the problem.

I had guessed it was a naive library issue. Strange that it would only partially apply something like that.
nerio
great white shark

Postby Darkf0x » Thu, 15Jun11 16:13

Is it fixed, or does one was to use the workaround ?
Darkf0x
sirens hunter

Postby Skelaturi » Thu, 15Jun11 17:01

the workaround. Do not expect it to be fixed soon as its related to the game engine.
Doggy style (noun)
A sexual position which allows both participants to watch TV.
---
My weakness a deviant Redhead: http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&start=4425#p97335

--
Seen anything wrong, a typo, to ask, anything else? PM me.
Skelaturi

Postby redle » Thu, 15Jun11 23:29

Skelaturi wrote:the workaround. Do not expect it to be fixed soon as its related to the game engine.

Well, except that the developer could create 2 separate downloads if he wanted. One generated while his own computer was in comma-mode and one in period-mode.

Certainly a hassle the more frequently new downloads are generated, but a way to reduce bug reports. Players will forget to switch their computer from time to time and will break saves and cause odd bugs (and won't always realize that they forgot to switch their computer during one of their plays). It's no different than developing a game and generating a PC version and a MAC version with each distribution.
redle
star of the reef

Postby Skelaturi » Fri, 15Jun12 02:52

redle wrote:
Skelaturi wrote:the workaround. Do not expect it to be fixed soon as its related to the game engine.

Well, except that the developer could create 2 separate downloads if he wanted. One generated while his own computer was in comma-mode and one in period-mode.

Certainly a hassle the more frequently new downloads are generated, but a way to reduce bug reports. Players will forget to switch their computer from time to time and will break saves and cause odd bugs (and won't always realize that they forgot to switch their computer during one of their plays). It's no different than developing a game and generating a PC version and a MAC version with each distribution.

the problem is that the developer is actually currently moving all over the usa atm, dunno why saw it in a earlier post and i do not have the curiousity to check what the actual reason is.

besides i do not think a simple solution would be 2 seperate download, remember "we" need to change in our settings the decimal. If the dev releases 2 different versions, the engine is still going to check our settings.
Doggy style (noun)
---
My weakness a deviant Redhead: http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&start=4425#p97335

--
Skelaturi

Postby redle » Fri, 15Jun12 05:23

Oh, by no means was I complaining and saying it should be fixed already. It will get fixed when it gets fixed... or it won't.

As for my comment about 2 different files, I'll admit that it is conjecture at this point. It depends somewhat on whether or not the developer is actually manually entering some numbers that contain decimals in them. If he is, I imagine these numbers would need to be manually edited each time the format were switched (although entering them as whole number fractions could be used as a workaround). There is also the potential problem that the developer save file and the game file may be the same object, with the database already created/formatted, and the database won't allow format conversions on the fly.

The point of 2 different downloads would be to generate the source file while the source computer was using the same format that the player's computer will use. Right now he is generating the file in a Dutch (I seem to recall) setting, so matching formats must be used to play the game (anyone using a US setting causes errors). If he could generate a second file while his own computer was using a US setting, then US players could download and play that version (although it would cause errors on anyone using Dutch settings). The goal here is to have the source .rags file be run under the same formatting settings as was in existence on the computer that created it. That's why "we" must change our settings. Both computers used must use the same format and we only have access to our own computer. We only have access to one side of the equation. That doesn't mean someone who has access to the other side couldn't instead make the change there. The point is to make both sides equal.

As I said, there are reasons why this might not work. I'd need to know more about the internals of RAGS, its file storage format, and how it makes use of databases to give a more educated guess on the likelihood of it succeeding. It's only a possibility.
redle
star of the reef

Postby Skelaturi » Fri, 15Jun12 16:02

thing is if a game is created in Europe the US has the problem but the same goes the other way when a game is created in the Us, Europe has the prolem. So i do not think its based on the way how the dev created the engine, atleast not how you interpret it.
Doggy style (noun)
---

--
Skelaturi

Postby redle » Sat, 15Jun13 07:53

Skelaturi wrote:thing is if a game is created in Europe the US has the problem but the same goes the other way when a game is created in the Us, Europe has the prolem. So i do not think its based on the way how the dev created the engine, atleast not how you interpret it.

I don't think you're understanding me. I'm speaking of the developer of any actual game, not the developer of RAGS. Infidele was developed on a computer while that computer was set to a European format. Therefore, only computers set to a European format can play it. If the same game were developed on a computer using a US format, then only computers set to a US format could play it (European and US used to match the quoted material, and for simplicity's sake. I realize they are simply general representations). This is what we've all come to the conclusion is fact.

So what I proposed might be a workaround was if the developer of Infidele kept his existing file in the European format (this already works for Europeans). Then he changed his own computer to a US format and "recreated" the game. This second file would be the same as any other file created on a computer using a US format, which would then work on US computers. (As stated, this is hypothetical. It absolutely would work to some degree, the question is, what definition of "recreated" is necessary to make it work completely. Obviously recreating it from scratch would work, but I wouldn't really expect this of a developer with a work in progress. Is a simple open and save enough? Is more work required? Neither of us know.)

If I thought we were actually arguing about whether or not it will work I would have stopped commenting a while ago. Such a discussion/argument is pointless. Instead it seems to me that there is some misunderstanding as to what my suggestion was. So I've tried to further clarify. At this point, though, I think I've re-explained as much as I can.
redle
star of the reef

Postby Greebo » Sat, 15Jun13 09:39

Not all European countries use commas for decimals, so it's not just a matter of "US" versus them if you'll forgive my pun-like pedantry! What do the users of the decimal comma employ as delineators of "thousands" as a matter of interest, and how does international commerce get around this? As a matter of further interest, what Americans call billions used to be "milliards" in the Western European part of the world, because billions was reserved for millions of millions not thousands of millions, but we appear to have been bullied into submission over that one.

I guess that logically we're all wrong because "mil" ought to refer to thousands, so a thousand thousand (1000^2) would be more sensible as a "billion" instead of a million, leaving the way open for a thousand thousand thousand (1000^3) to be a "trillion", a thousand thousand thousand thousand (1000^4) to be a "quadrillion" , and so on! [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Skelaturi » Sat, 15Jun13 13:26

redle wrote:
Skelaturi wrote:thing is if a game is created in Europe the US has the problem but the same goes the other way when a game is created in the Us, Europe has the prolem. So i do not think its based on the way how the dev created the engine, atleast not how you interpret it.

I don't think you're understanding me. I'm speaking of the developer of any actual game, not the developer of RAGS. Infidele was developed on a computer while that computer was set to a European format. Therefore, only computers set to a European format can play it. If the same game were developed on a computer using a US format, then only computers set to a US format could play it (European and US used to match the quoted material, and for simplicity's sake. I realize they are simply general representations). This is what we've all come to the conclusion is fact.

So what I proposed might be a workaround was if the developer of Infidele kept his existing file in the European format (this already works for Europeans). Then he changed his own computer to a US format and "recreated" the game. This second file would be the same as any other file created on a computer using a US format, which would then work on US computers. (As stated, this is hypothetical. It absolutely would work to some degree, the question is, what definition of "recreated" is necessary to make it work completely. Obviously recreating it from scratch would work, but I wouldn't really expect this of a developer with a work in progress. Is a simple open and save enough? Is more work required? Neither of us know.)

If I thought we were actually arguing about whether or not it will work I would have stopped commenting a while ago. Such a discussion/argument is pointless. Instead it seems to me that there is some misunderstanding as to what my suggestion was. So I've tried to further clarify. At this point, though, I think I've re-explained as much as I can.

yup i admit it, i misunderstood you. Thought you meant the engine dev not game devs.
Doggy style (noun)
---

--
Skelaturi

Postby redle » Sat, 15Jun13 20:52

Greebo wrote:Not all European countries use commas for decimals, so it's not just a matter of "US" versus them if you'll forgive my pun-like pedantry!

Yeah, I know, that's why I included this...
redle wrote:(European and US used to match the quoted material, and for simplicity's sake. I realize they are simply general representations)

statement. It was easier to speak of them if they each had a single word to name the format (and comma and period as Names cause their own confusion), even if the name I used is rather inaccurate.

Greebo wrote:What do the users of the decimal comma employ as delineators of "thousands" as a matter of interest, and how does international commerce get around this?

are the two general formats. They reverse the roles of the two delineators.

And I've written software for international companies and dealt with this issue more than once. To some extent the answer to your question is, it depends. Generally speaking, once software has a number and knows it's a number, it doesn't think in terms of "how do I symbolically represent the point at which the number transitions from integer to fraction." The problem comes into play when a number is being read into a system or written out. At these points it transitions from being a number to being a representation of a number. And, frankly, the solution is, tell the software what format is used to represent the number before the transition takes place.

Software can, of course, be written to analyze the number and make an educated guess as to the format. Just like when the scientists working on one of the space missions years ago had something fail because one team was working in English units and one team was working in Metric and someone didn't convert one of the results to the other system before combining them, it's basically a matter of diligence. (Scientific notation is another format in which numbers can be represented. There aren't only the 2 we've been discussing in this instance. You need to know what you have and use it accordingly)
redle
star of the reef

PreviousNext

Return to Free sexy games