College Exam - RAGS dating sim

The specific forum for rags games creators

Re: College Exam - RAGS dating sim

Postby TimBuk2 » Thu, 10Feb04 20:55

gymfrog,
Thank you for your efforts in developing this game. I've really enjoyed playing it. Your storylines and graphics are really good.

Here are a few bug areas that remain:
- can't drop the party shirt
- can't properly remove (yet) shoes, socks, etc.
- Brandi reward options aren't doing anything for me, no pics, vids, or anything else, just a line in the text box, but no change in the action.

Also, I haven't been able to get into Riley's PC. As a gaming tip, this shouldn't be made too difficult. Your hints option seems helpful, but still doesn't make it easy enough to avoid frustration.

Again, thanks for the game. I've enjoyed playing it.

[EDIT]
Also, there's some bugs within the dice game with Brandi. Here's some transcrïpt that contains an error:

[EXCERPT FROM THE GAME TRANscrïpt]
You pick up the dice and roll them.

You rolled a:
--------------------------------
Bambi picks up the dice and rolls them.

Bambi Rolls a:
You down even another beer. Wishing that you had better luck in this game. but alas you didn't.
[END TRANscrïpt]

I shouldn't have had a drink (my roll was over 8, and hers was under 8). This seems to happen when your about to pass out, like it forces you to drink the one that ends the game.
TimBuk2
sirens hunter

Postby buckeye87 » Thu, 10Feb04 22:09

I have the vodka and old magazine but I am not able to drop them for security guard. Also with the party shirt the only option it gives me is to wear but that is not possible because I am wearing a tshirt which has no options itself. Also, I am unable to do anything with the vodka for Riley.
buckeye87
Pilot fish

Postby buckeye87 » Thu, 10Feb04 22:37

also when you click edo in riley's quiz it says object reference not set to an instance of an object.
buckeye87
Pilot fish

Postby TimBuk2 » Thu, 10Feb04 22:53

Has anyone been able to get the Brandi ending? I've "won" the dice game, but then nothing happens when I "Collect Reward". I was wondering if it has anything to do with how many drinks Brandi has had prior to the game ending. Or might be a computer software issue. When I run the game using RAGS v1.4, it shows a video player, but without pictures of any kind. Using RAGS v1.5 I get pictures, but no video player. Neither one runs the Brandi ending. I did see the "Towel" ending ONCE, but no idea how that happened. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
TimBuk2
sirens hunter

Postby Trucla » Fri, 10Feb05 00:36

@Gymfrog: I didn't download your game. And you know why? Just because of all the comments preceding this post of mine.

As a matter of fact, one of the reasons (may be the main one) why real lovers of (A)IF don't like RAGS games is because of the publication of unfinished and/or fully bugged games. And from what I've read your game is in the and area.

Please imitate our host, Mr (should I say Sir?) Shark and publish your game only when it's finished and well alpha and beta tested by some experienced gamers.

Otherwise, much like many other RAGS games in the "market", you are concurring to giving RAGS a bad name. And the engine is fantastic!

Thanks!
Trucla
If a guy is hungry, don't feed him! Just offer a fishing rod and teach him fishing!
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Postby roberttx » Fri, 10Feb05 02:05

Trucla

I agree 100%. There's one on the AIF site that I've spent way too much time on with very limited success. I appreciate developers in any genre, since I have no skill at writing games. But to publish them when they're still in beta, or even alpha, is really tough on lousy gamers like me.
roberttx
lagoon predator

Postby dboy » Fri, 10Feb05 02:54

Pardon my ignorance, but is this a text only adventure?

Cheers
dboy
great white shark

Postby skuggan » Fri, 10Feb05 03:42

No, RAGS-games are based on pictures.
skuggan
great white shark

Postby Trucla » Fri, 10Feb05 03:45

skuggan wrote : No, RAGS-games are based on pictures.

Wrong!
RAGS games are based on both. And you can, if you so wish, make a game in RAGS with no pictures at all.

As far as this particular game is concerned, seeing the comments, it appears that it has pictures and video(s) too.

Cheers!
Trucla
If a guy is hungry, don't feed him! Just offer a fishing rod and teach him fishing!
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby ExLibris » Fri, 10Feb05 09:41

Trucla wrote :
Wrong!
RAGS games are based on both. And you can, if you so wish, make a game in RAGS with no pictures at all.

As far as this particular game is concerned, seeing the comments, it appears that it has pictures and video(s) too.

Cheers!

To be fair RAGS games are fairly strongly oriented towards pictures (that's one reason why the vast majority of games made with RAGS are adult). In fact, one of the most common mistakes made by new RAGS authors is too little text.

If you wanted to create a text game you would probably be better off using ADRIFT.

Regarding testing, perhaps it would be a good idea to start a beta testers thread where people can offer their services, so that new authors have somewhere to go to find people to test their games.
ExLibris
legend of the South Seas

sex: Female

Postby gymfrog » Fri, 10Feb05 18:16

I want to thank everyone for their comments and help. Trucla, I know that my game isn't 100% up yet. I was asking for help, not putting it out as a finished game. ExLibris: Thanks for your help. I think a thread for beta testers would be a great thing. it would help people who want to get started on creating things.
I had grandiose ideas on where I was going to take this, and ran into one problem after another in figuring out how the engine and programing worked.

Again thank you all for your help.
When I finish this, I will post an update.
If anyone else would like to help, send me a PM.
gymfrog
sirens hunter

Postby Trucla » Fri, 10Feb05 18:55

ExLibris wrote :

To be fair RAGS games are fairly strongly oriented towards pictures
I don't want to make a war of this, but what really happens is that most authors who started using RAGS oriented their games - for several reasons - to the pictures, not worrying about the texts. What really happens is - in my opinion - that RAGS is by far the engine that makes the best marriage of text with pictures.

Cheers!
Trucla
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby almeida67 » Fri, 10Feb05 20:50

Thanks gymfrog,
I am really glad to see a game in Rags without the traditional goals, some authors use till now, and I want to congratulate you for this.
Your game has bugs, TRUE!
Your game has too much images, TRUE!
Your game has not always a consistent text, TRUE!
Your game is password protected, TRUE!
Your game doesn't use the possible interfaces Rags allows, TRUE!
You are using free version 1.0, that limits your game, TRUE!
You need Beta testers, with password access, TRUE!
Yo are using images without authorization, TRUE!
The philosophical discussions between Trucla and ExLibris and skuggan are not needed just now, the important is that you must improve and make several corrections to your game, if you want to have success. You know, these people adore to write things... Verdade, pá?
Rags is an open GUI interactive engine between [descrïptive text] [graphicu] [rooms(environments)] [environment objectu] [characteru] [inventory] [orientation optionu] [you (the player)].
If people doesn't want to read texts, it will be impossible to play a Rags game, and if you don't use the graphics, it will be boring, but playable. The graphics in Rags are illustrations of the environment, actions, objects, characters, etc. etc. and are the easiest add-on that Rags gives, easier than in Adrift or Tads.
Go ahead... We have time to wait!
almeida67
lagoon predator

Postby iamystic » Sat, 10Feb06 00:01

downloaded ver 1.2 and upgraded to rags 1.5 but cannot operate the game,
iamystic
lagoon predator

Postby almeida67 » Sat, 10Feb06 00:39

Rags 1.5 opens this game without problems. I commit a mistake when I mention
You are using free version 1.0, that limits your game, TRUE!
because the designer used is posterior. The version 1.0 doesn't open the game!
My apologize to gymfrog.
But install the 1.5 in another directory. I have the feeling of a lot of bugs in the last version of Rags.
almeida67
lagoon predator

PreviousNext

Return to RAGS games